Dr. Jo
Dr. Jo, Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM from Iowa State University in 1994; actively engaged in private regular and emergency practice since that time.
36050890

I have a two year old greyhound male,he is a racer,he

Hello,I have a two year old greyhound male,he is a racer,he had a short trial last Wednesday,since then he has been drinking excessive amounts of water.I have been restricting him to 300ml every two hours.I have encountered this problem before after a run but normally it stops after a couple of days.
thanks in anticipation Richard.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Jo replied 2 years ago.
Hello,I'm Dr. Jo and I'm here to help with your question about Phil (I love the name). I'm sorry he's having this problem, but glad you're looking for the information you need.You may join the conversation at any time by typing in what you want to say then clicking REPLY.(typing more...)
Expert:  Dr. Jo replied 2 years ago.
I understand that racers can experience a transient increase in thirst, but this has me worried, so I'm glad you're asking. It's also possible that this has nothing to do with Phil's being a racer and is instead related to one of the other types of diseases that causes excessive thirst as an initial symptom. With most of these, limiting water intake can actually be harmful, so it would be wise to have Phil checked out.(typing more...)
Expert:  Dr. Jo replied 2 years ago.
If Phil were my patient, I wouldn't feel safe about limiting his water intake until I'd had basic blood and urine tests run to rule out things like diabetes, liver problems, kidney problems, and adrenal disease. If he's got one of those problems, you'll need to address it. Once he's being successfully treated, the excessive drinking will stop.
Expert:  Dr. Jo replied 2 years ago.
Please also keep in mind that under normal circumstances the daily fluid requirement for any adult dog is about 60ml/kg, so a 65# ***** would need about 1800cc of water per day minimum (approximately).
Expert:  Dr. Jo replied 2 years ago.
If he's ill, though, that amount can more than double....Does this help to answer your question so far?