Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian
Experience:  16 years of internal medicine, surgery, and preventive care.
25161683

My 13 year old Staffordshire Terrier is losing weight

my 13 year old Staffordshire Bull Terrier is losing weight , eating lots and drinking lots . She urinates in her sleep
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 2 years ago.
Welcome and thanks for asking your question. My name is***** am a licensed veterinarian. I am happy to answer your question today. First I need to ask you a few questions so that I can be well informed and give you the best advice. There may be a slight delay between your follow ups and my replies as I type out a thorough reply for you. 1- Is it fair to say she is drinking more than usual? 2- Any pre existing medical conditions? 3- Is she on any medications? 4- Any other symptoms?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

yes she is drinking lots , no other medical conditions , no medications and no other symptoms.

Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 2 years ago.
Give me a few minutes to type your answer. Thank you.
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 2 years ago.
Friend, when a dog drinks more water than usual it is a sign an underlying medical problem. There are many possible causes. It will be difficult for me to determine the exact underlying cause without a hands on examination and some testing. But, common causes are: An active infection, hormonal disorders (diabetes), kidney or liver disease and even cancer to name a few causes. The fact that she is losing weight despite eating I would place Diabetes or Kidney disease high in the list of possible causes. The urinary incontinence is common when dogs are drinking excessively. To determine which of the above is the underlying cause your family veterinarian will need to do some blood work (chemistry profile, T4 & CBC) and urinalysis as initial screening test. Unfortunately not much I can recommend for you to try at home that would a significant therapeutic benefit. Treatment for Sally will be determined by clinical and diagnostic findings. For example, if she is a diabetic she will need to be started on insulin. Highly recommend having Sally checked by family vet as soon as you can for the above test.Please do not forget to rate my answer - I hope you found it to be excellent. If there’s more I can do, please use the reply tab and let me know. It’s my goal to provide you with excellent service." Thank you for your business and I hope to work with you again soon!Dr. Peter