Doc Sara
Doc Sara, Veterinarian
Experience:  I am a dog and cat veterinarian with a lifetime of experience in our family veterinary hospital.
23511967

Dog has been eating grass and been sick. Just now dog has had

Customer Question

Dog has been eating grass and been sick. Just now dog has had very fluid like diarreha
Category: Dog
Expert:  Doc Sara replied 1 year ago.
Good evening - I'm Dr. Sara. I'm a licensed veterinarian who works exclusively with cats and dogs. When I see dogs that are suddenly vomiting but acting relatively normally otherwise, the first couple of things I consider are infectious diseases (think stomach flu), dietary issues (I ate something that didn't agree with me) or foreign body obstructions (I ate something that's blocking my GI tract). These can range from mild things that they get over on their own, up to surgical emergencies. As long as their breathing is not labored, there is no abdominal distention, and their gums are pink and moist, I usually recommend holding off on giving any food or water for at least 6-8 hours. If they are continuing to vomit though this time, it's time to see the vet. If they stop vomiting, then I start by offering a small portion of water. If they keep that down for more than 2 hours, I offer another small amount of water and a small taste of food (1-2tsp). As long as they continue to tolerate small meals, you can gradually increase the amount of food at each sitting and increase the time in between meals. If they aren't eating at all for >24 hours, this also merits a trip to the vet. Diarrhea is especially common with infectious or dietary GI upsets, and less likely with GI obstructions. When you reintroduce food, you can start with a bland diet of three parts boiled white rice to one part boiled chicken breast - this can help firm up the diarrhea over a few days. A probiotic made for dogs like FortiFlora can also be helpful for diarrhea. However, if your dog has dry gums, this likely indicated dehydration, which would prompt me to recommend you seek veterinary care as soon as you're able. He/she should see the vet also if he's not eating or drinking or if the vomiting doesn't stop or he's acting very lethargic. Please let me know what follow up questions I can answer for you!~Dr. Sara
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for your help. Took dog to vets on the following morning he was given an injection and kaolin and i bought specialist food from the vet for his recuperation. He now seems back to his usual self which i very pleased with. I really appreciate your help as i was really worried about my little lad and did feel secure in the approach i was taking. Your advice gave me confidence. Thank youLaughing

Expert:  Doc Sara replied 1 year ago.
Thank you so much for the update! I'm so glad to hear that he's feeling better :) Don't hesitate to contact us again if you have any other problems :)~Dr. Sara