Dr. Jo
Dr. Jo, Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM from Iowa State University in 1994; actively engaged in private regular and emergency practice since that time.
36050890

Our 6 month old chocolate labrador puppy stole and ate almost

Our 6 month old chocolate labrador puppy stole and ate almost a whole (small) bag of castor sugar today while we were out. Since she's been drinking a lot of water and this evening is, for the first time ever, not interested in her food at all.
Will the sugar have harmed her in any way?
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Jo replied 1 year ago.
Hello,I'm Dr. Jo and I'm here to help you with your question about Coco. I'm so sorry she has done this, but glad you're looking for the information you need.You may join the conversation at any time by typing in what you want to say then clicking REPLY. That way we can chat back and forth until you're satisfied with the information I've provided and are happy to give me a positive rating. Please also know you're not alone. Lab puppies are notorious for finding crazy things to eat. At least I'm happy to let you know I have good news for you. I would not expect this to do any more harm to her than what you're already seeing...excessive thirstappetite lossIt could also cause...vomitingdiarrheaabdominal crampingBut I would expect all of this to pass over the course of 24 hours and leave no lingering effects. Does this help to answer your question? I want to be as helpful as possible.