Rebecca
Rebecca, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Veterinarian for more than 30 years
11877925

Our dog ,a ***** *****,had puppies on Thursday (2). One of

Customer Question

Our dog ,a ***** *****,had puppies on Thursday (2). One of these was stillborn,but the other is thriving. The mother seems to be in some distress,and has just started squeezing again as if having contractions. We were wondering if it's possible there's another puppy in there.....
Category: Dog
Expert:  Rebecca replied 1 year ago.
Hello, I am sorry to hear you are worried about your ***** *****. I am a veterinarian, my name is Rebecca. I will do my best to help. Yes, she could have one or more puppies still inside her. If she were mine, I would get an Xray as soon as possible to see. If she still has a puppy inside, 2 days after the first ones were born, she could be in trouble. If there is another puppy, and it is stuck or dead, she may not be able to deliver it, and she could get seriously ill if that happens. I would have her checked just as soon as you can. Can you take her temperature at home? Normal rectal temperature is 101 to 102F, 38.6 C. If she is low, she could still be in labor or worse, could be going into shock. If she is high, she may have an infection. Check her gums; they should be bright pink. If they look at all pale, she may need medical attention. Let me know how she is doing and what else I can help with. Rebecca
Expert:  Rebecca replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for the great rating. How is she doing? Rebecca
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Mother and surviving baby both doing great thanks. She DID have another inside which she passed on the Sunday morning on the way to the emergency vet. Your diagnosis was spot on,many many thanks!ūüėä
Expert:  Rebecca replied 1 year ago.
You are welcome! Glad to hear all is well. I guess you scared the last one out by telling her she was going to the vet! Thanks for the update. Rebecca