Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian
Experience:  16 years of internal medicine, surgery, and preventive care.
25161683

We are looking after our parents dog as they have gone away

Hi we are looking after our parents dog as they have gone away on holiday and she is off her food and as being sick intermittently, mainly bringing up bile as her tea she ate has been brought up also, there is no smell to it and was wondering what could be wrong with her, she seems a little subdued also, this is her third night with us, only been sick today though.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 2 years ago.
Welcome and thanks for asking your question. My name is***** am a licensed veterinarian. I am happy to answer your question today. First I need to ask you a few questions so that I can be well informed and give you the best advice. There may be a slight delay between your follow ups and my replies as I type out a thorough reply for you. 1- Did she get into anything or eat something out of the ordinary? 2- How much does she weigh? 3- Any pre existing medical conditions? 4- Is she on any medications?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
1. Not that we are aware of
2. About 10-12 kg not 100% sure
3. No conditions
4 . No meds
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 2 years ago.
Give me a few minutes to type your answer. Thank you.
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 2 years ago.
Friend, the reason why she is not eating lies in whatever is causing her to vomit. The big questions is: Why is she vomting? Vomiting can be caused by many different conditions. It will be difficult for me to determine the exact underlying cause without a hands on examination and some testing. But, common causes are: A simple gastritis, dietary indiscretion, ingestion of a foreign body, infections or even part of a systemic disease, etc. to name a few causes. In any case of vomiting the first thing to do is give the stomach time to rest. This is what you can do:1- Do not give things like Pepto Bismol or imodium. Start her on Zantac (ranitidine) 75mg 1/4 tablet every 12 hours for the next 2-3 days. You can buy Zantac over the counter in any pharmacy.2- No food or water for 6-8 hours. Need to give her gastrointestinal tract time to rest. 3- After 6-8 hours offer a small amount of water. Wait half hour, if no vomiting, offer small amount of rice (50%) and boiled boneless chicken or ground beef (50%) 4-6 times a day. Keep on this diet for several days then wean into regular diet. 4- If she continues to vomit or not willing to eat after doing the above she will need to be seen by your family veterinarian for a hands on examination.Please do not forget to rate my answer - I hope you found it to be excellent. If there’s more I can do, please use the reply tab and let me know. It’s my goal to provide you with excellent service." Thank you for your business and I hope to work with you again soon!Dr. Peter
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Ok thanks
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 2 years ago.
You're welcome.