Dr. Loretta
Dr. Loretta, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  25 years of experience in surgery and internal medicine.
16881297

My miniature schnauzer is 2, but since he was about 6 months

Customer Question

My miniature schnauzer is 2, but since he was about 6 months he has had an enlarged salivary gland and so produces a large amount of saliva which he vomits about 5-6 times a day. He has been treated for inflammatory bowel disease with steroids and other drugs and is currently only prescribed Epiphen as his Phenobarbitone level is 51. The vomiting of saliva seems to occur when he is excited, but he doesn't really play any more and if he does he pulls up and starts licking which is usually a sign of some forthcoming vomiting. Is there anything you could suggest for us to try please?
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Loretta replied 2 years ago.
Good Morning and welcome! I am Dr. Loretta, a licensed veterinarian and I am happy to answer your question. It is hard to know what may be causing this in such a young dog but until the cause can be determined, your vet should be treating the symptoms. Atropine will decrease salivary gland excretino and this, in turn , will decrease the nausea. I would , however, treat your guy with an anti emetic such as pepcid AC at 0.5 mg per pound every 8 hrs. This is very unusual for a young dog and I would also recommend taking your sweet guy to a specialist who may be able to determine why this is happening and find a way to resolve this. He is so young that it is hard to think of him living his life with this condition. Does that make sense to you? Please let me know if you have ANY other questions. My goal is to give you 100% satisfaction and if you are not yet satisfied, please REPLY so I can clarify for you. Sincerely, ***** *****
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Thank you for your response. He is under a specialist at the Davies Hospital. Would you recommend we take him elsewhere? Also we are thinking of trying alternative therapies. Would you know someone who could help us in this area? I have also been on the web to research and the symptoms described for sialadenosis seem to fit.
No, if your guy is under the care of a specialist, that is where he needs to be. If he has not been responsive to the Phonobarbitol treatment, that is not a good sign since, for this diagnosis of Sialodenosis, this treatment has been effective. Alternative therapies is always an option along with traditional medicine when there is no response to treatment.. Unfortunately, I do not know anyone in the UK that can help but I am sure, if you ask the specialist, they will have referrals for you. Good luck!