Dr. Loretta
Dr. Loretta, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  25 years of experience in surgery and internal medicine.
16881297

There, our pet dog is nearly 15, so pretty old! He was

Customer Question

Hi there, our pet dog is nearly 15, so pretty old! He was diagonsed with a heart murmur a few years ago after a collapse on a walk. My worry is that he's done it 3 times this week-the first time my mum took him straight to the vets and they checked his heart and said it sounded normal, no fluid etc. My mum is away and so I cannot bring him alone to the vets without her having deciscions on what's to be done etc as he is her dog. He had 2 collapses as soon as she went right after going outside to pee. I'm unsure whether her leaving made his symptoms worse as he's very attached to her. He was fine within about 30 mins, ate all his dinner and has been drinking water and resting. Today he's had no problems peeing, or walking (to pee-the vet advised us no long walks). Will he be okay until my mum gets back and we can take him to the vets (about 5 days time)? If they heard his heart only 3 days ago and said it was fine, is it just old age, a time-out? Thanks.

Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Loretta replied 2 years ago.
Good Morning and welcome! I am Dr. Loretta, a licensed veterinarian and I am happy to answer your question. I am so sorry to hear about Jester's condition. It is very important that you have a heart specialist examine Jester. These sound like fainting spells, called syncope that causes a lack of blood flow to the brain and the collapse. This is common with Congestive Heart Failure and only an EKG and/or an Echocardiogram will let you know the true state of Jesters heart condition. Often, the correct medication can help Jester past this but, without the diagnostics to know exactly what is causing this, your vet will not know how best to treat Jester. This LINK will explain in more detail. Does that make sense to you? Please let me know if you have ANY other questions. My goal is to give you 100% satisfaction and if you are not yet satisfied, please REPLY so I can clarify for you. Sincerely, ***** *****
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Thankyou-we have booked him in to see a cardiac specialist which comes to the vets once a month-which will be next week-will he be okay until he gets seen, if he's eating, peeing and everything okay? Are these fainting spells life-threatening or will he be okay until he is seen by the specialist? Also I'm a little confused the vet said his heart sounded fine and healthy? Does that decrease the seriousness of syncope, and can I worry less until he's seen?

Yes, I do believe that Jester will be ok until he can be seen by the cardiologist. I am so happy that you have gotten an appointment for him since this is the best way to help your sweet Jester.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Thankyou-I can relax abit until he's seen by the specialist. What shall I do when he has these fainting spells apart from keep him calm and reassure him? It's not too long away about a week, so I'm glad you believe he'll be okay until then-the vet told me to make sure his gums are pink-as that suggests his circulation is fine? I've been checking that and it's always pink-the vet also said his heart beat was strong just a little muffled? Can a dog still have heart problems even if the beat sounds fine? Thanks!

There is nothing you can do for Jester when he has these spells except what you are doing. Always check his gums like your vet said. Yes, they can have Congestive heart disease even if the rate sounds normal. The muffled sounds may indicate the disease has fluid built up in Jester's lungs....you will know for sure when the cardiologist examines him. Good luck!
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Thanks very much for all your replies-they checked for fluid when he was in last week and they said there isn't any. They didn't seem overly worried but the collapsing happened after the trip to the vets x

Good to know Elizabeth...I hope they will find the cause and be able to treat this.

Thank you so much, Elizabeth, for your kind rating. It is very much appreciated! Even though you have rated, we can still communicate. If you have other questions, please Reply. I am always happy to help. I hope Jester can get past this!

Have a wonderful day!
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

It worsened sadly-he had another collapse and urinated on himself, his breathing going funny-I called the emergency vets out who checked him and confirmed he had fluid blocking him-at his age they said x-rays etc would upset him but they're pretty sure it's fluid so they gave him an injection to clear it-I have a follow up appointment in the morning to start him on this medicine. I'm just hoping this helps him-at least for a little while-x

Oh my...I am so sorry Elizabeth! It sure sounds like a primary heart issue rather than a seizure...please let me know how he is doing tomorrow. I hope the injection helps your poor Jester, Elizabeth!! Hang in there!!
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Some good news at last-perhaps you can confirm! He got the injection on Sun night, and has been on frusemide since Mon-he's now a lot more alert, no collapsing, peeing fine, drinking plenty and even running! As the vets were worried an ECG would be traumatic they said they were pretty certain as you said it was syncope and fluid on his heart-it seems the medicine has really helped! He seems a lot more like himself :) Does it sound like the tablets are working? He used to have a huge lump on his chest which seems to have gone down so I'm wondering if this was the fluid? Thanks xxx

That is so great! Yes, I am sure that the Furosamide has decreased the fluid build up , Elizabeth. This will decrease these syncope episodes and help make Jester feel better....keep up the good work, Elizabeth...you are on the right track....
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Thankyou Dr.Loretta for all your advice. I'm just so so pleased he seems better in himself-he is sleeping quite abit but I think he's just been stressed out about the weekend's incidents. He just seems happier in himself x

That is so great, Elizabeth...I know Jester is older but you are doing everything you can to keep him comfortable...good job!!!