Dr. Jo
Dr. Jo, Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM from Iowa State University in 1994; actively engaged in private regular and emergency practice since that time.
36050890

We think our cocker spaniel had a fit about 2 hours ago she

we think our cocker spaniel had a fit about 2 hours ago she is 2 yrs old, every now and again she tends to hold her head to one side, she eats well and she loves to go for her run in the field, what do you think could be wrong with her
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Jo replied 1 year ago.
Hello,I'm Dr. Jo and I'm here to help you with your question about Poppy. I'm so sorry she is having this problem, but glad you're looking for the information you need. I know it's really scary to watch your dog have a seizure and it's pretty upsetting. You may join the conversation at any time by typing in what you want to say then clicking REPLY. That way we can chat back and forth until you're satisfied with the information I've provided and are happy to give me a positive rating.So I may know that you are online and available to chat, please type in a short reply. It's important that I know you understand how the website works and that you will eventually need to give me a good rating in order for me to be compensated before I type in a lengthy reply. Rest assured you will have my full attention after you reply, and I will continue the conversation until you're happy to give me positive feedback. Thank you.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
i am waiting for your reply thankyou
Expert:  Dr. Jo replied 1 year ago.
Good. I'm glad you're there. Every time I get a phone call from one of my clients who thinks they've just seen their dog have a seizure for the first time, they're always terrified that they were watching their dog die before their eyes. Good news is that's almost never the case. Have you had Poppy since she was a little pup?Has she always been healthy?Does she take any medications?How is she acting now?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
we have had her since she was seven weeks old. yes she has always been a healthy littlie dog, she does not take any medication, its her resting time, she went up the field early on this afternoon like normal and she was fine
Expert:  Dr. Jo replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for those responses. (typing more...)
Expert:  Dr. Jo replied 1 year ago.
There are a few different things that will cause a dog to have a seizure. In fact, it's important to clarify that a seizure is not an illness in and of itself. Like running a fever or vomiting, a seizure is just a symptom of some other problem. In the vast majority of cases where a previously healthy, young adult dog has a seizure for the first time and is completely normal both before and after the seizure, the dog ends up receiving a diagnosis of idiopathic epilepsy. That just means the pup will continue to have seizures on occasion throughout its life, but they will be of no consequence.(typing more)
Expert:  Dr. Jo replied 1 year ago.
The most common age of onset of idiopathic epilepsy is around 3 years of age, but Poppy is not too young. If the epileptic dog has frequent seizures (more than one a month) or the seizures come in severe clusters, she should be put on anticonvulsant therapy (daily medication) to decrease the frequency and severity of the seizures. Epileptic dogs live otherwise healthy and normal lives. That being said, there are still other, albeit less common, causes for seizures.
Expert:  Dr. Jo replied 1 year ago.
It would be wise to have Poppy examined by your local vet and have some basic blood tests run to look for some of those other, less common, causes of seizures. In my professional opinion, however, as long as she is acting otherwise completely normal and isn't continuing to have one seizure after another, it's okay to do that sometime this week, and not as an emergency visit today.
Expert:  Dr. Jo replied 1 year ago.
In the case of most of the other causes of seizures (things like toxins and liver disease), I wouldn't expect Poppy to be okay right now. I'd expect her to keep having seizures or be vomiting or otherwise in trouble.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
could it be to do with her coming into season, as she does not cope very well with her season we have another cocker spaniel who is 3yrs old and she copes fine and they both get on really well together
Expert:  Dr. Jo replied 1 year ago.
But every case is different. The important thing for you to know right now is that seizures don't hurt, and she is not conscious or aware during the seizure. It's also completely involuntary, so there isn't anything you can do during the seizure to stop it or bring her out of it sooner. Just make sure she isn't where she'll end up hurting herself.
Expert:  Dr. Jo replied 1 year ago.
Very good question!
Expert:  Dr. Jo replied 1 year ago.
Studies have shown that epileptic dogs can be more likely to have seizures when coming into heat. Therefore, spaying is recommended.
Expert:  Dr. Jo replied 1 year ago.
Here's a link to a good article about seizures...http://www.veterinarypartner.com/Content.plx?A=560
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
i think we will make an appointment tomorrow and take her to a vet and probably consider having her spayed
Expert:  Dr. Jo replied 1 year ago.
That sounds like a good plan. I always like it if my patients with seizures keep a log: record the date and duration of seizure activity. Helps me determine my medication plan. Your vet may want you to do the same.
Expert:  Dr. Jo replied 1 year ago.
It'll also be helpful for you to know that idiopathic epilepsy is a diagnosis made by exclusion. In other words, we rule out the other possible causes of seizures with history, exam, blood and urine tests. If they're all normal, we say the dog has idiopathic epilepsy.
Expert:  Dr. Jo replied 1 year ago.
Does all of this help you with your question today? My goal is to be as helpful as possible.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
yes thankyou very much
Expert:  Dr. Jo replied 1 year ago.
I'm happy to help Please take a moment to give me a positive rating so I may receive credit for helping you today.
Expert:  Dr. Jo replied 1 year ago.
Please remember I am here for you and am happy to discuss your question until you are satisfied with the answer I've provided. You may return to this page at any time to review this information and/or post more. You may do so even after you've ACCEPTED my answer and rated my response. I'll be notified of your response via email and will do my best to help you. If you are satisfied with the information I've provided, please take a moment to ACCEPT my answer and rate my response. I've done my best to provide you with the most accurate, thorough and up-to-date information that is available, and your positive feedback is important to me. Without it, I receive no compensation for helping you. If you are not satisfied, please let me know how else I may be of assistance. Thank you for using our website.