nekovet
nekovet, Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.
60269376

Io have just been to the vets and was told that my pups are

Customer Question

Io have just been to the vets and was told that my pups are too young at 6 weeks for their injections. Is that correct?
Category: Dog
Expert:  nekovet replied 1 year ago.
Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian & I would like to help you with your wee one today.
Your vet is correct here. At 6 weeks, most pups still have maternal derived antibodies. These are nature's way of protecting pups in the first few weeks of life; but this will interact with the vaccination (blocking the pup immune system from dealing with the vaccine viruses directly to form their own immunity). So, if we gave a vaccine now, there is a high risk that the pup's won't actually develop their own protective immunity. Therefore, unless we were in an outbreak situation, it is advisable to start vaccines at 8 weeks of age when we know the maternal antibodies have waned.
I hope this information is helpful.
If you need any additional information, do not hesitate to ask!
All the best, *****
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need as this is how I am credited for assisting you today. Thank you! : )