Dr. Michael Salkin
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 45 years of experience.
55012488

My dog who is 4 years old shitz tzu x poodle has dry flaky

Customer Question

My dog who is 4 years old shitz tzu x poodle has dry flaky skin on chest area and his fur is falling out, he scratching a lot of the time but he has been fleed with frontlined, he also has runny ear wax. I haven't taken him to the vets yet as tried to deal with his problem my self buying ear drops, special shampoos etc. Apart from this problem he seems happy and playful.
julie
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 1 year ago.
I'm sorry that your question wasn't answered in a timely manner, Julie. When over the counter remedies fail you have little recourse other than to have his vet carefully examine your dog's affected skin. The dry flaky skin and hair loss can result from infection - bacterial, fungal/yeast, and parasitic; seborrhea - a disorder of skin keratinization and maturation; autoimmune disorders (his immune system is attacking his own skin); nutritional imbalances, and an allergic dermatitis - allergies to environmental allergens (atopy) such as pollens, molds, dust, and dust mites, etc. or food intolerance. His pruritis (itchiness) most often indicates such an allergy but the other disorders I mentioned above can also be pruritic. Basic examination of his skin should include skin scrapings, a cytology (microscopic exam of a small sample of his skin surface for abnormal numbers of bacteria or yeast) +/- a fungal culture. Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish. Can you upload a photo of representative skin to our conversation? You can use the paperclip icon in the toolbar above your message box (if that icon is visible) or you can use an external app such as imgur.com or dropbox.com. I can be more accurate for you if I can see what you're seeing.
Thank you for your kind accept. I appreciate it.
I can't set a follow up in this venue and so would appreciate your returning to our conversation with an update at your convenience.