Dr. Joey
Dr. Joey, Board Certified
Experience:  15 yrs in practice, specialist canine/feline medicine
20970409

I have just got a 9 week old Shih Tzu (pedigree?) Puppy. (2

Customer Question

I have just got a 9 week old Shih Tzu (pedigree?) Puppy. (2 days ago) I am using the same wet food that the 'breeder' was using. Puppy is eating and drinking. My worry is that she mostly has very squidgy poos! No blood or anything. She has not been sick. She sleeps well and is settling in and finding her way around the house quite happily. I can't get her to Vet until weekend... am I worrying unnecessarily?
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Joey replied 1 year ago.
Hello I am Dr. Joey. Thanks for trusting me to help you and your pet today. I am a licensed veterinarian with over 15 years of experience. I look forward to working with you.Excellent that you have kept the diet the same. This loose stool, then, is probably not related to diet changes unless you have been offering new treats. But it is a problem that needs to be evaluated by your veterinarian soon. My top worry is she has worms (roundworms, hookworms or coccidia) which she came to you with and causes loose stool. Your veterinarian will need to check her stool to diagnose this (so bring a good sample with you to the veterinarian).However, there are other causes of loose stool such as stress (home change) or viral diseases. We do need to assess if this is an emergency that cannot wait until the weekend. If she is not eating well, there is any blood in her stool, she has any vomiting or seems lethargic, then this is an emergency that cannot wait.If she is lively and active, eating great and drinking (as it sounds to be the case), then I recommend you continue the same diet. You can potentially add a probiotic to her food to help normalize her digestive tract such as one mode for dogs like Fortiflora or Proviable, or you can use one for people such as Culturelle (she'd only get half a capsule full once daily with food). No bad side effects and might help. Then, monitor closely. If at any point she does develop any of those concerning signs I mentioned, then you must have her seen right away.I also want to mention with concern about parasites/worms, please practice very good hygiene which means hand washing after handling the puppy and the puppy's stools.I am at a point I need to know what questions you have. We can continue our dialogue in this setting.I hope that the information I provided has been helpful.Please remember to select REPLY TO EXPERT if for any reason you need further clarification, have more questions, or were expecting a different type of answer.My goal is to provide the best answer possible prior to you leaving a feedback rating.If you received all the information you needed, then kindly submit a rating.