Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian
Experience:  16 years of internal medicine, surgery, and preventive care.
25161683

My Weimaraner puppy (9 months old) is throwing up a white foamy

My Weimaraner puppy (9 months old) is throwing up a white foamy bile fairly consistently (5-6 times tonight). He doesn't seem bothered by it (ate his dinner and is drinking water) but every 15-30 minutes he starts coughing and then throws up a small amount of white fluid. this seems to have started this morning and has become worse tonight.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 2 years ago.
Welcome and thanks for asking your question. My name is***** am a licensed veterinarian. I am happy to answer your question today. First I need to ask you a few questions so that I can be well informed and give you the best advice. There may be a slight delay between your follow ups and my replies as I type out a thorough reply for you. 1- Is it fair to say that the vomiting is after the coughing? Or, does he vomit also without coughing? 2- Did he get into anything?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
1. He vomits after coughing. Sometimes coughs for a bit and then no vomit.
2. nothing unusual. I had a cold for the last few days and he took to eating my used tissues, but nothing else I can think of.
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 2 years ago.
Friend, the coughing you are describing is consistent with an upper respiratory infection called "kennel cough." Basically, he has a dog cold. He did not get the cold from you however, dogs have their own viruses and bacteria not shared with humans.The forceful hacking/gagging is secondary to the inflammation in the upper airway and often will lead to vomiting; this is why he is bringing up vomit. This can be caused by viruses or bacterias. I would have him checked by family vet, he may need oral antibiotics. In the meantime, start him on Robitussin DM (cough) 1 teaspoon every 6-8 hours for the next week. You can buy Robitussin DM over the counter in any pharmacy (chemist). Limit physical activity (no running) as this will promote the hacking/gagging. Please do not forget to rate my answer - I hope you found it to be excellent. If there’s more I can do, please use the reply tab and let me know. It’s my goal to provide you with excellent service." Thank you for your business and I hope to work with you again soon!Dr. Peter