Dr. Michael Salkin
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience.
55012488

My dog bout 10yrs old is constantly urinating plus finding

Customer Question

my dog bout 10yrs old is constantly urinating plus finding it difficult to poo, he`s been checked bowels are clear, he looks very uncomfortable ??
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 1 year ago.
I'm sorry that your question wasn't answered in a timely manner. I need to know a bit more about your dog. Is he polydipsic (increased thirst) and now polyuric (increased volume of urine) or is he stranguric (frequent attempts to urinate little or no urine)? The former state of affairs represents a number of age-related disorders including urinary tract infection involving the kidneys, both chronic renal and hepatic failure, diabetes mellitus and insipidus, Addison's disease, Cushing's disease, and electrolyte (calcium, sodium, potassium) imbalances. Both diabetes mellitus and Cushing's should also cause polyphagia (increased hunger) which isn't present at this time. Can you upload a copy of his recent test results to our conversation? I understand that you might not have a copy of the results at home but his vet should be able to give you one which you could scan into your computer and give me the link or you can photograph the page(s) and upload the images by using the paperclip icon in the toolbar above your message box (if you can see such an icon) or by using an external app such as imgur.com or dropbox.com. Safe over the counter pain relief is provided only by aspirin at a dose of 20 mg/lb with food twice daily. You must avoid both ibuprofen and naproxen - both of which are toxic to dogs. Acetaminophen (paracetamol) is safe at 15 mg/kg thrice daily but its efficacy is uncertain in dogs.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Sorry mate but its taken so long for your reply i may as well wait till the morning now when i will know for sure what is wrong with him We are going back to the vet as his urine sample will have been analysed by then. I needed to know earlier if there was anything i could give him to alleviate any discomfort he appears to be in now. Yes he is i believe to be stranjuric, little or no pee plus he has lost his appetite, guess we will know how serious it is tomorrow. I would give you better marks/points on your expertise but its just taken too long, problem could probably be that you are about 10,000 mls away and probably asleep when i sent my message. i didnt see anything on your site saying you are in California while im in Bath UK..

No worries. I understand.
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience: University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience.
Thank you for your kind accept. I appreciate it.
If you'd like to continue consulting with me following his vet visitfeel free to return to our conversation at your convenience. No need to reply at this time.