Dr. Joey
Dr. Joey, Board Certified
Experience:  15 yrs in practice, specialist canine/feline medicine
20970409

My dog is 10 Months old. I have had him since he was 8 weeks

Customer Question

My dog is 10 Months old. I have had him since he was 8 weeks and he has been housetrained since around 4 months old. He was completely dry at night and we never had any accidents. In the past month he has started urinating through the night and soiling. He literally does it everywhere, soiling is rare but he urinates every night without fail. It is too much for it to be marking.
I have tried taking him out more in the day and I always make sure he goes before bed, he is never left for more than 8 hours maximum.
My dog hasn't been neutered but I don't really want to have him done as I would like to breed him in the future.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Joey replied 1 year ago.
Hello I am Dr. Joey. Thanks for trusting me to help you and your pet today. I am a licensed veterinarian with over 15 years of experience. I look forward to working with you.I am so sorry you are going through this with your dog. Given that he was properly house trained and all was well several weeks ago, my top concern is this is not behavioral, but a true medical problem. He could have something simple such as a urinary tract infection or crystals in his urine, which are irritating and lead to some incontinence at rest. Or, he could have an underlying problem that is causing him to produce too much urine so that his bladder is over-full at all times, and when he rests he accidentally urinates. There are many issues that could cause production of too much urine ranging from primary kidney problem to an endocrine disease (such as diabetes incipidus, not mellitus) to a liver issue.The absolute best first step is to take him to be examined by his veterinarian, and then he needs some lab testing that would include a urinalysis and blood work (CBC, chemistry profile with electrolytes) +/- urine culture. This should help us to narrow down the issue and rule out many of the problems I mentioned above.At this point I cannot comment on him as an a good breeding candidate. My hope is we find something like a urinary tract inception which has nothing to do with his breeding potential, and not something like an endocrine problem or primary (congenital) kidney problem which could be potentially hereditary. Your goal to breed him makes having this checked out even more important. We want to ensure his urinary (and reproductive) systems remain healthy until he reaches breeding age (18-24 months). I am at a point I need to know what questions you have. We can continue our dialogue in this setting.I hope that the information I provided has been helpful.Please remember to select REPLY TO EXPERT if for any reason you need further clarification, have more questions, or were expecting a different type of answer. My goal is to provide the best answer possible prior to you leaving a feedback rating.If you received all the information you needed, then kindly submit a rating.