Dr. Michael Salkin
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 45 years of experience.
55012488

I discovered last night that my small dog has a very bad gum

Customer Question

I discovered last night that my small dog has a very bad gum infection over her canine. What can I do for her today to ease it, please?
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 1 year ago.
I'm sorry that your question wasn't answered in a timely manner. Aspirin dosed at 20 mg/kg with food every 12 hours should be helpful. Avoid ibuprofen and naproxen - both of which are toxic to dogs. Acetaminophen (paracetamol) is safe at 15 mg/kg thrice daily but its efficacy is circumspect. The canine of teeth of doxis appear to be disproportionately susceptible to tooth root abscessation and so that "very bad gum infection" may actually involve Charli's tooth root. Please have Charli's vet take a look at that tooth. Dental X-rays are indicated in such cases. Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you. It is a lot better now since I have bathed in warm salt water. However the gum appears to have receded and the tooth babe bad. I shall be taking her to the vet tomorrow.
You're welcome. Thank you for the update. I'm pleased to hear that Charli will be well attended to shortly. I can't set a follow-up in this venue and so would appreciate your returning to our conversation with an update - even after rating - at a time of your choosing.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I took Charli to the vet today and she will have the tooth removed tomorrow morning,
Thank you for you help. It was reassuring to have someone to communicate with.
You're quite welcome. Charli should do nicely. You may receive an inappropriate follow up sent by the site ostensibly sent by me. It wasn't and I apologize in advance should you receive it.