Dr. Loretta
Dr. Loretta, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  25 years of experience in surgery and internal medicine.
16881297

My dog has been sick through the night it was good to start

Customer Question

My dog has been sick through the night it was good to start with but just bile now and had she's also had watery diorhea. She won't settle , she is shivering with her tale tuck up and head bowed and pacing around continuously , should I take her to an emergency vet now or will she be ok ?
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Loretta replied 2 years ago.
Good Morning and welcome! I am Dr. Loretta, a licensed veterinarian and I am happy to answer your question. It appears that Frankie has a digestive disturbance secondary to something she may have ingested or stress. For this follow these instructions: Fast Frankie for 12-24 hrs to allow the digestive tract to calm down and heal.Give her Pepcid AC or Famotidine at 0.5 mg per pound every 8 hrs. That can be purchased over the counter at the pharmacy.Give only small amounts of water during the fast or ice cubes After the fast, feed rice and boiled chicken (2/1)If the vomiting has resolved, then wean FRankie back onto regular food. If the vomiting persists especially during the fast, take her to your vet for an exam and lab work to determine the cause for this. This is extremely important since this can cause dehydration or other more serious concerns. I worry some because of Frankie's age, that this may not be something simple and may require treatment by your vet but it is hard to know for sure. Does that make sense to you? Please let me know if you have ANY other questions. My goal is to give you 100% satisfaction and if you are not yet satisfied, please REPLY so I can clarify for you. Sincerely, ***** *****
Thank you so much, Sarah, for your kind rating. It is very much appreciated! Even though you have rated, we can still communicate. If you have other questions, please Reply. I am always happy to help. I hope sweet Frankie feels better soon!

Have a wonderful day!