Dr. Kara
Dr. Kara, Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian.
49838867

There. We have been doing quite a lot of training with

Hi there.
We have been doing quite a lot of training with our two year old lab x gsd and he has just vomitted. The vomit initially seemed to be undigested treats (hard dried chicken). However, the second time he vomited, the vomit contained blood. I don't know whether this is because of the hard treats scratching him on the way up or whether we should be worried it's something more sinister?
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Kara replied 2 years ago.
Hello, my name is***** and I have over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian. I am sorry that you have been waiting for a response, but your requested expert isn't online which delayed your question coming up on the list for all to answer. I would like to help if you are still interested in an opinion.I'm sorry to hear about Bandha vomiting with some blood tinged fluid after a lot of training and feeding lots of dried chicken treats. Sometimes if a dog vomits forcefully, or eats something irritating to the gastrointestinal tract (like the dried chicken material), the lining of the esophagus or stomach gets irritated and the small blood vessels in the esophagus or stomach break and thus we see blood or a pink tinge or blood spots in the vomit.If there were just blood spots mixed with mucous/treats and his gums are a nice bubblegum pink color then the bleeding is very likely very little.This may well be due to irritation from the treats and getting overheated and excited/stressed by a lot of training, but there may other causes as well.In a younger dog I would be concerned about bacterial, viral or fungal infections, toxin exposure (anticoagulant rodenticides), him eating something he should not including a foreign body (rubber band, bones, or toy piece) or inflammatory bowel disease. Other possibilities are internal organ (kidney or liver) disease that cause a build up of waste products which the organs normally remove that can irritate the gastrointestinal tract leading to bleeding or pancreatitis, infiltrative cancers like lymphoma are possible as well, but these are less likely at his age.Gastrointestinal parasites are rarely the cause of vomiting but can cause gastrointestinal bleeding.Does he have a fever (rectal temperature greater then 103F)?If he seems to feel pretty well otherwise, his color is good and the blood was a small amount there are some things we can do at home.I would start with an acid reducing medication to try and settle his stomach. You can give either:1)Pepcid ac (famotidine) at a dose of one 10mg tablet per 20 to 40 pounds of body weight every 12 hoursOR2)Prilosec (omeprazole) at a dose of one 20mg tablet per 40 to 80 pounds of body weight every 24 hoursThese are acid reducers which will decrease irritation of the stomach and should help him feel better. They should be used for several days to aid in healing. Then I recommend a 12 to 24 hour food fast. Water is fine as he needs to stay hydrated but by taking away food we rest his gut and hopefully reset normal gut motions.In 12 to 24 hours start a bland diet of 1/3 boiled, skinless, white meat chicken minced or boiled, very lean, ground beef mixed with 2/3 boiled, plain white rice or pasta. This is an easily digested bland diet and won't irritate his stomach and intestines.Feed the bland diet mix for several days until his nausea clears, then slowly start mixing in his regular diet. It should take about a week to convert him back, mixing a little more regular and less bland in each meal.You can also give him probiotics to replace good bacteria in his gut. Fortiflora, Proviable and Benebac are all very good. Your veterinarian or many larger pet stores carry them. If even with the acid reducing medication, his food fast, probiotics and bland diet he still is vomiting and/or refusing to eat he should be seen by a veterinarian. If he continues vomiting blood today even with the acid reducing medication then he needs to see a veterinarian on an emergency basis, otherwise he will become dehydrated.Please let me know if you have any further questions.