Dr. Kara
Dr. Kara, Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian.
49838867

I have 7 year old cross ***** *****/ collie who over the last

Customer Question

I have 7 year old cross ***** *****/ collie who over the last 2 days has had very loose motions, have had her on a chicken & rice for 2 days is improving but wondered if I should not give her any food at all apart from fresh water.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Kara replied 1 year ago.
Hello, my name is***** and I have over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian. I'm sorry to hear about Lucy's loose stools for the past 2 days. Diarrhea can be due to stress, a change in diet, parasites, inflammatory bowel disease or even a food allergy. But it can also be related to metabolic organ disease (such kidney or liver disease) due to organ wastes irritating the gut. Rarely a mass in the colon can be the cause.In her case because she is responding to a bland diet somewhat simple stomach upset from eating something she should not have or parasites are possible.Well worth checking at least a couple fresh stool samples as parasite eggs/cysts are shed intermittently and could be part of her trouble. They may be picked up on the second sample or third test if the first is negative.Since she still feels well now and seems to be improving we can try some things at home. I would not feed her any food for 24 hours. This has been debated among veterinarian but I find it helps stop gut spasms and restores normal gut motility. Small amounts of water or ice cubes given frequently are fine as she needs fluids after all that she has lost with loose stools. You can give her pedialyte to replace electrolytes too, but Gatorade or other sports drinks tend to be much too high in sugar which can make her intestinal irritation worse.Today even with the fast you can start Kao-pectate (kaolin pectin formula) at 2mls per kilogram or 1 tablespoon per 7 kilos of body weight every 6 to 8 hours. This is quite safe and will coat her irritated gi tract as well as absorbing bacterial toxins. You can use it for several days until her stools look normal. You can find kao-pectate at the drug store. If she has a tense painful abdomen, continues to have diarrhea with no improvement after being on kao pectate for 24 to 48 hours, becomes very lethargic, begins vomiting or runs a fever greater than 103.5F then she really must be seen by a veterinarian as soon as possible. Make sure to take a fresh stool sample with you when you go.After her food fast start a bland diet of 1/3 boiled, lean hamburger (or boiled, white, skinless chicken), all fats and juices drained off the meat, mixed with 2/3 boiled, plain white rice. Feed several small meals a day. You might wish to add 1 to 2 tablespoon(s) of canned pumpkin to each meal if you are seeing mucous in her stool as fiber helps soothe an irritated colon.Diarrhea can also lead to bacterial overgrowth in the gut. Probiotics such as Fortiflora, Proviable, or Benebac can help replace appropriate bacteria. You can add one of those to the bland diet mix. Once she feels better (no loose stools for 48 hours) start mixing in her regular dog food very slowly, less bland more regular with each day. It should take a week or so to convert her back.Please let me know if you have any further questions.