nekovet
nekovet, Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.
60269376

Dog has split on large pad on paw, limping a little and licking

Customer Question

Dog has split on large pad on paw, limping a little and licking it lots, what can we put on it?
Category: Dog
Expert:  nekovet replied 1 year ago.
Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you today. I do apologize that your question was not answered before. Different experts come online at various times; I just came online, read about your situation, and wanted to help.
Again I do apologize that my colleagues could not aid you sooner. If you would still like assistance, can you tell me:
Is the wound just through the pad material or can you see the under layers (pink, white)?
Is it gaping open?
How long ago was the split?
Do you know what caused it? Anything caught inside it?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Just on pad material, cant see any bleeding or pink or white layers. Not gaping too much, just a crack. Happened about 2 days ago but he wouldnt let us look at it. No idea how he did it.
Expert:  nekovet replied 1 year ago.
Thank you,That is quite positive to hear. If you had been seeing through the pad material to the deeper structures, then that is often a sign we will need to stitch this closed (since walking on the pad often prevents healing). That said, if Rex is very irritated with this and won't let you have a good look, then we do need to tread with care. Cracks aren't usually sore or irritating, so this does make me concerned that something may be caught.If he would let you handle the foot, we'd want to be examining it for anything stuck, removing that, and then flushing it with a mild anti-septic (ie dilute betadine, chlorohexidine, or salt water). Otherwise, if he just won't, then we may need the local vet to examine this (potentially with sedation if he is very resistant). Though hopefully that won't be necessary. If it isn't, then again we'd want to be flushing this region a few times daily. There are no real safe topical OTC treatments we can use here, but if it was very raw then his local vet could dispense Fuciderm or Dermasol for him. As well, they could dispense dog safe pain relief (ie Metacam, Rimadyl, Onsior, etc). But otherwise what will benefit the crack most is preventing him from licking. This is because he will be negatively impacting his own healing but also because saliva is full of bacteria. Therefore, if you have not already, he will need a buster collar (from this vet or pet store). Furthermore, we'd want to keep the foot covered to protect it at home. Indoors, a sock is best since they are breathable and will let this dry. Outside, we may just need to cover the socked foot with a sandwich bag or something similar. This will just prevent moisture or other foreign bodies he may walk on from getting in. And while he will need to go out to toilet, we'd not want to have any big walks for the next week or so while this is healing. I hope this information is helpful.If you need any additional information, do not hesitate to ask!All the best, ***** -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need as this is how I am credited for assisting you today. Thank you! : )