nekovet
nekovet, Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.
60269376

My ex and i share ownership of our 6 year old cocker. I

Customer Question

Hi, my ex and i share ownership of our 6 year old cocker. I picked him up last night and he seems stiff and cannot jump on and off furniture. My ex says that they have been to the vet and been told that he just needs to go on short walks and to take cod liver oil. The dog does not appear to be in pain or distress.
I am trying to figure out wether we need to be doing more orif i am just being over protective.
Category: Dog
Expert:  nekovet replied 1 year ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian & I would like to help you with your wee one today.

Do you know if the stiffness was sudden or slowly progressive?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I don't know as I have an occasional custody.He has certainly been less energentic when I have seen him.

Expert:  nekovet replied 1 year ago.
Thank you Sophia,

Now based on the treatments and lack of appreciable pain, I would be suspicious that his vet either suspects underlying arthritis +/- muscle strain. If he had been painful or if you think he is really struggling, then you may want to have your ex (or yourself if you are on the vet file as an owner) ring for a short course of dog safe anti-inflammatories (ie Metacam, Onsior, Rimadyl, or Previcox).

Otherwise, in these cases, strict rest (so short walks and no jumping on/off furniture) and fish oil supplementation are not unreasonable here. The former is important for letting any strains settle (just as we'd need to rest a sprained ankle ourselves) and the latter is a natural anti-inflammatory that can be of benefit if we have underlying joint issues.

Further to the fish oils, I would note that we also often will use glucosamine/chondroitin. This is a nutrient supplement that is available at your vets, pet shops, and health food stores (as capsules, liquids, and even treats). It works by aiding joint suppleness by helping cartilage replenish itself and blocking enzyme destruction of cartilage in the joint. Often we can find this helpful in animals with mild signs. Normally we give dogs 300mg glucosamine + 50 mg chondroitin a day per 20 kilograms of body weight. So, do consider trying this with him as well.

As well, there is one more nutrition supplement that could be helpful here called Durlactin. It is another more natural anti-inflammatory support that could help reduce his soreness and inflammation to help him move better. You can read more about this product HERE.

Finally, if he does seem to favor any leg or region specifically, then you can also consider warm compressing that are to relax the muscles and reduce inflammation.

Just to note, you can make a safe warmer for use as a warm compress by filling a clean sock 2/3rds full with uncooked white rice. Tie it closed and microwave (approx 1-1.5 min). Before use, do make sure to shake to allow the heat to distribute before using as a compress. (If it cools, you can re-warm as required).

Overall, his signs sound most suggestive of progressive arthritis but if sudden in nature could have an element of muscle strain here. Now we don't want him jumping on/off furniture and do need to be resting him. As well, the cod liver oil is a common nutrient supplement for mild arthritis cases. But further to this, we can also use the above to help those joints. And if he seems very stiff and is really struggling, then his vet can be rung about those dog safe anti-inflammatories to just get him more comfortable as quickly as possible.

I hope this information is helpful.

If you need any additional information, do not hesitate to ask!

All the best,

Dr. B.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need as this is how I am credited for assisting you today. Thank you! : )