Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian
Experience:  16 years of internal medicine, surgery, and preventive care.
25161683

I have a staffie Who is 9 years old. The last couple of days

I have a staffie Who is 9 years old.
The last couple of days she has been off her food and lethargic. I took her for a short walk this morning and she walked along behind me , not in front as usual. Since then she has been asleep in her bed. She did want a snack, so has not eaten since her supper at 1700 yesterday. Her bowel movements are fine and she is drinking, not excessively.
She just wanders around with her tail down, very unusual.
Please advise
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 2 years ago.
Welcome and thanks for asking your question. My name is***** am a licensed veterinarian. I am happy to answer your question today. First I need to ask you a few questions so that I can be well informed and give you the best advice. There may be a slight delay between your follow ups and my replies as I type out a thorough reply for you. 1- Any vomiting or coughing? 2- Did she get into anything? 3- Any pre existing medical conditions? 4- Any other symptoms?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
No vomiting or coughing
Not as far as I know unless she has eaten something in the garden
She swallowed a stone 4 years ago and had to have an operation to remove
No other symptoms
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 2 years ago.
1- Can you take a look at her gums and see if they are pink or pale? 2- Can you take her rectal temperature?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Her gums are purplish black and her temperature is 37.7
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 2 years ago.
Give me a few minutes to type your answer. Thank you.
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 2 years ago.
Friend, her temperature is normal, thank you. Lethargy and anorexia can be caused by many different medical conditions that affect dogs. I am really concern if her gums are purplish, this could be an indication of poor circulation which can be brought upon as a result of: Heart or lung disease, tumors, abnormal red blood cells, etc. to name a few causes. Unfortunately we are somewhat limited as to what you can do at home. I would strongly recommend having her checked immediately by nearest ER veterinarian. Attending vet may need to run some testing like xrays and blood work to determine the exact underlying cause. In the meantime, limit all physical activity to a very short walk to urinate or defecate. I realize that this answer may not be entirely to your liking, and I regret being the bearer of information that you really don’t want to hear. But it would be unfair to you and unprofessional of me were I to provide you with anything less than truthful and honest information. I hope you understand. Please do not forget to rate my answer - I hope you found it to be excellent. If there’s more I can do, please use the reply tab and let me know. It’s my goal to provide you with excellent service." Thank you for your business and I hope to work with you again soon! Dr. Peter