Rebecca
Rebecca, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Veterinarian for more than 30 years
11877925

My 12 year old lab has arthritis but has a cough and heaves

Customer Question

My 12 year old lab has arthritis but has a cough and heaves a lot
Category: Dog
Expert:  Rebecca replied 2 years ago.
Hello, I am sorry to hear you are worried about your Lab. I am a veterinarian and will do my best to help. I am also sorry to see you have waited until now for an expert. I just came online and seeing your question for the first time. Are you giving him anything for the arthritis? A cough can be due to many things: bronchitis, heartworm, heart disease, infection, and a condition we see in older dogs (especially Labs and goldens) called laryngeal paralysis or "Lar Par". The treatment would depend on which of these he has. If this were my own dog, I would start by listening to his heart and lungs with a stethoscope, doing a heartworm blood test, and possibly a chest xray. You can give dogs Robitussin DM, at half the dose on the label for people. Do not use any other Robitussin than the DM formula. Let me know what else I can help with or answer. Rebecca
Expert:  Rebecca replied 2 years ago.

How is your Lab doing?