Dr. Loretta
Dr. Loretta, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  25 years of experience in surgery and internal medicine.
16881297

My GS , 6 yrs old, has, since being a pup, barked and

Customer Question

My GS bitch, 6 yrs old, has, since being a pup, barked and screeched in the car. She can't wait to jump in but as soon as we drive off the barking starts. Our only solution has been to drive a few yards, stop at a convenient spot just long enough for her to jump out and then jump back in and giving her a treat. She's then quiet for most of the time. Any suggestions? Thank you. Miriam Richardson
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Loretta replied 1 year ago.
Good Morning Miriam, and welcome! I am Dr. Loretta, a licensed veterinarian and I am happy to answer your question. This sounds like a learned behavior and only discipline will help stop this behavior. Chica is feeling some anxiety when in the car and this starts the barking. She may also have been used to getting the treat at the store so she may have "trained" you, Miriam. The best thing to do, Miriam, is to purchase a DAP Collar for Chica. This is a canine pheromone that acts as a calming agent to decrease anxiety. Carry a coke can with pennies in it and when she starts this whining, shake the can loudly and say a strong NO!! Se will eventuallly get the idea. It helps to take Chica back to obedience school so she will listen to you when she is doing bad behavior. I would also NOT stop at the store for treats and try using these techniques. If this is not enough, Miriam, your vet has medications to help decrease the anxiety of being in the car to help Chica past this. Have your vet examine Chica to be sure that there is not a medical cause for this such as pain. Does that make sense to you? Please let me know if you have ANY other questions. My goal is to give you 100% satisfaction and if you are not yet satisfied, please REPLY so I can clarify for you. Sincerely, ***** *****
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for your reply. We have tried, over the years all that you have said and more, apart from medication. Giving a treat is a very recent strategy.

We leave the house (barking begins), we stop just up the road in the car park, Chica jumps out for less than a minute, happily jumps back in, is given a pigs ear, no more barking till we reach our destination. Have run out of ideas apart from buying ear plugs!

All you can do is try, Miriam...if the treat works, perhaps carry treats with you when Chica starts this. I wish I had more ideas, Miriam, but this is the extent of what can be done to stop this behavior....if the other approaches have not worked, then go with what is working for you.
Dr. Loretta, Dog Veterinarian
Experience: 25 years of experience in surgery and internal medicine.
Thank you so much, Miriam, for your kind rating. It is very much appreciated! Even though you have rated, we can still communicate. If you have other questions, please Reply. I am always happy to help. I hope you can get Chica feeling better in the car.!

Have a great day!