Dr. Loretta
Dr. Loretta, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  25 years of experience in surgery and internal medicine.
16881297

My dog has random patches of missing hair on his head. It started

Customer Question

My dog has random patches of missing hair on his head. It started with one large patch approx 1 week ago bit has spread to two more smaller patches developing. He does not appear to be in pain but has vomited twice, this may or may not be connected. What could this be?
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Loretta replied 2 years ago.
Good Morning and welcome. I am Dr. Loretta , a licensed veterinarian and am happy to answer your question.I have a few questions to help me better assist you. How old is your dog and what breed? is he itchy? Are the areas red and irritated?Thank you!Sincerely, ***** *****
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
He's a labrador, 7 years old and he doesn't seem to be scratchy or irritated. The skin is very pale, little bit red.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Actually the new patches have red weeping spots! Just found another will try and upload a picture.
Thanks for the info...this area is a typical area for demodectic mange and this can come on , even in older dogs due to a suppressed immune system. Also, a hypothyroid condition can cause this type of lesion. It is best to have him tested by your vet using skin scrapings to rule out mange and blood tests to rule out metabolic disorders. From what you have described, this could be many thigs such as mange, fungal infection or metabolic dysfunction. Without testing, it is hard to know. None of these are serious but knowing the correct treatment will help your guy get this resolved. Does that make sense to you? Please let me know if you have other questions.
a picture would really help. Any weeping spots is usually only due to a skin infection caused by the irritation and treated with Betadine applied every 8 hrs.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
This is a pic of the new area developing....
Thanks for the picture....it looks like this may be a SEbaceous Cyst. This is an oil gland within the hair follicles that can become infected and appear this way with some hair loss due to the irritation. Clip away the hair from the area where the nodule is located and apply Betadine, available at the pharmacy over the counter, every 8 hrs. This will dry up this area so the bacteria cannot grow. This is not serious but annoying to your guy.
Of course, if this does not resolve, your vet will have to run tests that I described above...in the picture, it does not appear to be demodectic mange.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
We will try that. Thank you so much for your time, we really appreciate your expert advice! Thanks again.
Good for you...I think it may be a minor issue. You are always very welcome! Please let me know if you have other questions....
Thank you so much for your kind rating. It is very much appreciated! Even though you have rated, we can still communicate. If you have other questions, please Reply. I am always happy to help. I hope your guy feels better soon!

Have a wonderful day!