Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian
Experience:  16 years of internal medicine, surgery, and preventive care.
25161683

Shaking, wobbly, won't eat, can't walk very well on his back

Shaking, wobbly, won't eat, can't walk very well on his back legs and generally not himself.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 1 year ago.
Welcome and thanks for asking your question. My name is***** am a licensed veterinarian. I am happy to answer your question today. First I need to ask you a few questions so that I can be well informed and give you the best advice. There may be a slight delay between your follow ups and my replies as I type out a thorough reply for you. 1- Did these symptoms come on quickly? 2- How long has this been going on? 3- Did your vet do any xrays? 4- Is he currently on any medications?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Yes the symptoms came on quickly he was whining at the side of my bed when I woke this morning, he was ok when we went to bed, if you try to get him up he cries. The symptoms only started this morning.

No the vet didn't do any x rays or blood tests, and no he is not on any medication.

Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 1 year ago.
Is he dragging his back legs?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

No, but he isn't carrying himself properly. If he was a horse you would say he looks tucked up.

Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 1 year ago.
You mean he is arching his back?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Yes, and very reluctant to get up or walk even for his food, which is very unusual as he is very food oriented.

Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 1 year ago.
Give me a few minutes to type your answer. Thank you.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

ok

Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 1 year ago.
Friend, the symptoms that you are describing in Pongo are consistent with back pain likely as a result of a pinched nerve secondary to a bulging disc. Less likely we can sometimes see similar symptoms with abdominal pain or even systemic diseases. The immediate concern is a bulging disc as this can lead to completely paralysis if not treated promptly. I would recommend you have Pongo re-checked by family vet this morning. Discuss with your vet about doing xrays and blood work as initial screening test. If nothing is found on the xrays or blood work discuss with your vet about a trial with prescription anti inflammatory medication and pain killers. You see, the Xrays can sometimes appear normal in these patients. To diagnose we often need advance imaging like an MRI. Please do not forget to rate my answer - I hope you found it to be excellent. If there’s more I can do, please use the reply tab and let me know. It’s my goal to provide you with excellent service." Thank you for your business and I hope to work with you again soon! Dr. Peter