Dr. Michael Salkin
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 45 years of experience.
55012488

I have a chocolate Labrador 9years old who is desperately overweight.

Customer Question

I have a chocolate Labrador 9years old who is desperately overweight. He has no real quality of life as he sleeps most of the day and cries during the night, he's walked at least twice a day. He has several lumps and brings a lot of phelm up. I honestly don't know what to do for the best. He's unable to go in a car and unable to walk too far. Please could you advise me? Thank you
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 1 year ago.
I'm sorry that your question wasn't answered in a timely manner. As you might realize such obesity and somnolence + crying during the night are important symptoms but they're not pathognomonic (specifically indicative) of any one disorder. I would be initially be concerned about severe hypothyroidism in such a Lab and so I need to know if a thorough physical exam including serum biochemistries - particularly the T4 blood test (total thyroid blood test) - has been performed. If so, can you upload a copy of his test results to our conversation? I understand that you might not have a copy of the results at home but his vet should be able to give you one which you could scan into your computer and give me the link or you can photograph the page(s) and upload the images by using the paperclip icon in the toolbar above your message box (if you can see such an icon) or by using an external app such as imgur.com or dropbox.com.
Thank you for your kind accept. I appreciate it.

I can't set a follow up in this venue and so would appreciate your returning to our conversation with an update at your convenience.