Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian
Experience:  16 years of internal medicine, surgery, and preventive care.
25161683

Why is my dog creeping on the floor she had her anal glands

Customer Question

Why is my dog creeping on the floor she had her anal glands done 2wks ago her water test was clear
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 2 years ago.
Welcome and thanks for asking your question. My name is***** am a licensed veterinarian. I am sorry for the delay in response. If you would like to continue can you please answer a few questions so that I can be well informed and give you the best advice. 1- Do you mean she is rubbing her butt on the floor? If so, can you see if there is any redness or irritation in the anal region?There may be a slight delay between your follow ups and my replies as I type out a thorough reply for you.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Thank you for your reply,no there isnt any redness or inflamation.
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 2 years ago.
1- Is she licking her butt or at least trying? 2- How is the rest of her skin in her body? 3- Any other symptoms? 4- How much does she weigh? 5- Any pre existing medical conditions? 6- How are her bowel movements, normal?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
1,she does try to lick her buty,her skin is fine,she weighs about 10lbs,no other medical problems,bowels are fine
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 2 years ago.
Give me a few minutes to type your answer. Thank you.
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 2 years ago.
Friend it sounds like Rosie has anal pruritis which basically means an itchy butt. A very common cause for anal pruritis is an underlying allergy (food or environmental). I would recommend the following: 1- Change her diet to a prescription food called Hill's z/d or a grain free diet with a different source of protein then what she normally has had in the past. For example: If she seldom ate fish then put her on a food that has fish. When on this diet she should not eat anything else or she will not improve. Needs to be on this diet for 6-8 weeks before you see significant improvement. For treats you can give her veggies like: Baby carrots, broccoli, cauliflower, etc. 2- Start her on Chlorpheniramine 1-2mg every 8 hours. You can buy Chlorpheniramine over the counter in any pharmacy (chemist). 3- Supplement with Eicosaderm (omega 3 fatty acids); you can buy this over the counter in any pet store or online. Give at label dose.4- Discuss with your vet about starting her on a low dose of corticosteroids for a short period to relieve the itching while you change her diet and start her on anti histamines. 5- If the above doesn't help you can discuss with your vet about a trial with a medication called Apoquel. Please do not forget to rate my answer - I hope you found it to be excellent. If there’s more I can do, please use the reply tab and let me know. It’s my goal to provide you with excellent service." Thank you for your business and I hope to work with you again soon!Dr. Peter
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Thank you dr peter, my husband took rosie to our vet,so i would like to cancel any further payment
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 2 years ago.

You will need to customer service for payment issues. I don't deal with payments, I am sorry.

You're welcome.