Dr. Barbara
Dr. Barbara, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 30 years experience in veterinary medicine and surgery.
56364752

My dog was diagnosed with probable conjunctivitis yesterday.his

Customer Question

My dog was diagnosed with probable conjunctivitis yesterday.his eye is partly closed and sore.has been given Isathal eye drops.Now he is trembling and won't eat or go out.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Barbara replied 1 year ago.
Hi and welcome to JustAnswer.I'm Dr. Barbara and will be happy to help you and Buster today.So sorry to hear that he has conjunctivitis and is quite painful. Was his eye this sore yesterday? Was Buster trembling yesterday and not eating?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Eye was sore yesterday same today.trembling and not eating only came on today
Thanks for your response. The eyedrops you are giving are an antibiotic/prednisolone combination. It is possible that he is allergic to something in them, but trembling and not eating wouldn't be his main symptoms. If your vet didn't check under Buster's eyelids for a foreign body, or if he didn't stain the cornea of his eye for an ulcer or scratches, the the Isathal could have made his eye worse. Did you vet check under his eyelids and stain his eye (cornea) and evaluate it with a black light?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yes he did all of the above
Glad to hear that. It sounds to me like Buster's eye is more painful, and there is also a very slight possibility that one of the ingredients in the eye drops doesn't agree with Buster. One other question. . .is Buster wearing and elizabethan collar or cone to prevent him from rubbing his eye?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yes
That may be why he is trembling and not eating. . .this is a very common reaction to these cones. I'd recommend you take it off while you are right there to see if he is more comfortable, the trembling stops and he wants to eat. Even offer him a treat once the collar is off if you would. As long as you can watch Buster to make sure he doesn't scratch his eye, then you can leave it off. When you go to bed then put it back on.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok thank you
Please let me know how he responds. . .thanks!
Dr. Barbara, Dog Veterinarian
Experience: Over 30 years experience in veterinary medicine and surgery.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Buster had to go back to vets on Thursday,eye worse was kept in and given local anaesthetic and had eye washed out.Did not find anything under third eyelid.Eye still almost covered by bottom eyelid. But doesn't look so inflamed.Still having drops twice daily.

Thank you so much for the update.

Very glad that Buster had his eye looked at that closely for any foreign bodies, and hopefully his eye will continue to improve.

There are systemic diseases and diseases of the eye that are not just on the surface but can cause conjunctivitis (like tick borne diseases, lymphoma, and glaucoma), so if his eye does not continue to improve Buster would have to be checked for those.

Hopefully and probably tho', his conjunctivitis will continue to improve with the eye drops.

Thank you again,

Dr. Barbara