nekovet
nekovet, Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.
60269376

My dog is 9.5 months old and finished her first season only

Customer Question

My dog is 9.5 months old and finished her first season only a week ago. At the weekend I felt lumps around her nipples. I'm worried that they could be mammary peas.
1. Could this be hormonal as she's just finished her first season?
2. Can they disappear on their own?
3. Is she too young for them to be cancerous?
Many thanks,
Louise.
Category: Dog
Expert:  nekovet replied 1 year ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today.

We do always need to be wary of lumps in the breasts of any aged dog. It is uncommon to see cancer at Minnie's age, but as I am sure you can appreciate cancer doesn't always follow the text books. Therefore, we'd need to monitor these closely at this stage. Since she just had a season, this is quite possibly hormone induced ductal proliferation and it should settle in the next week or so as her hormone levels drop. But if these do not regress or if they appear to enlarge at all, we'd then want them checked +/- sampled by her vet to make sure that they are normal tissue potentially proliferating/developing as opposed to anything sinister we may need to remove.

I hope this information is helpful.

If you need any additional information, do not hesitate to ask!

All the best,

Dr. B.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need as this is how I am credited for assisting you today. Thank you! : )

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Many thanks, ***** ***** my mind slightly. I will monitor them over the next week as you suggest and hope that they subside. If not then I will visit our local vet.

Expert:  nekovet replied 1 year ago.
You are very welcome, Louise.
I am glad that I could give you some peace of mind and that sounds like a good plan of action. :)
All the best to you both,
Dr. B.