Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian
Experience:  16 years of internal medicine, surgery, and preventive care.
25161683

My 10 year old westie(he is a big westie) has a lump on his

My 10 year old westie(he is a big westie) has a lump on his chest. we took him to the vet 6 months ago and it was descibed as fatty tissue and not to worry. its now grown into the size of a tennis ball. What could it be. he seems health. eats his food,
runs about etc.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 2 years ago.
Welcome and thanks for asking your question. My name is***** am a licensed veterinarian. I am happy to answer your question today. First I need to ask you a few questions so that I can be well informed and give you the best advice. 1- Did your vet collect a tissue sample to be evaluated under the microscope?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
i think so. but came back saying there was nothing wrong
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 2 years ago.
Give me a few minutes to type your answer. Thank you.
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 2 years ago.
Friend, fatty tumors (lipoma) are very easily diagnosed on physical examination by a veterinarian. As you may already know these types of tumors are benign. However, they can become quite large. When they are fast growing as in Ruud's case it is often best to have them surgically removed or they will continue to grow. If you don't want him to have surgery and would like to confirm that it is a lipoma, then, to determine the exact nature of the lump I would recommend you speak to your family veterinarian about doing an FNA (fine needle aspirate); this is a very quick test where your vet will collect a sample of the cells with a needle. Requires no anesthesia, inexpensive when compared to a biopsy and can be done within minutes during an office examination. Your vet will most likely submit sample to a lab to be evaluated under the microscope for a definitive diagnosis. The decision of benign neglect or complete surgical removal should be made based on FNA results. Please do not forget to rate my answer - I hope you found it to be excellent. If there’s more I can do, please use the reply tab and let me know. It’s my goal to provide you with excellent service." Thank you for your business and I hope to work with you again soon! Dr. Peter