Dr. Loretta
Dr. Loretta, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  25 years of experience in surgery and internal medicine.
16881297

My ***** ***** who is 12 1/2 years old has recently becoming

Customer Question

My ***** ***** who is 12 1/2 years old has recently becoming really scared of sudden noises - the worst being shutting a ring binder and stapling.
The vet says there is not much that can be done.
Can you give advice on what we can do?
Lindsey Waghorn
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Loretta replied 2 years ago.
Good Morning Lindsey and welcome. I am Dr. Loretta, a licensed veterinarian and I am happy to answer your question. This is a common trait in some dogs. They develop fears that cause extreme anxiety similar to those anxieties of humans. The only way to get Frodo over this is "Desensitization" which means constant exposure until he realizes that these fears will not hurt him. To do this, first avoid these while making your dog comfortable in his situation. You may need help in doing this since when you try, as you have experienced, he is too afraid to understand. Purchase a DAP Collar at the pet store. This is a canine pheromone that acts as a calming agent and will decrease anxiety.Thundershirts are useful since this is one of the most common fears causing extreme anxiety and can be very effective. If this is not enough, your vet will have medication to help him past this. Take Frodo to your vet again for an exam to be sure there is not a medical cause for this, especially since Frodo is older, and ask about anti anxiety medication such as Fluoxetine or Buspirone. Then expose him to the things he fears over and over, constantly talking in a soft voice and giving treats when he does something positive. Here is a site with more tips: http://www.petplace.com/dogs/fear-of-thunder-sounds-or-noises/page1.aspx Does that make sense to you?Please let me know if you have ANY other questions. My goal is to give you 100% satisfaction and if you are not yet satisfied, please Reply so I can clarify for you Sincerely, ***** *****
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
We tried the praise and reward as we quietly shut the file over a 5 minute period but it made him a shivering wreck! If he sees a ring bind er, a hole punch, a stapler or a prosecco bottle he is cowering. The fireworks are not too bad nor thunderstorms. It seems to be a sudden close bang of anything. The vet says his eyesight is failing and because of that he may not see a problem coming. But that wouldn't explain Frodo cowering when he sees any of the above. Apart from this he is a happy dog who has never had anything traumatic happen to cause a problem.
It really seems that Frodo could use the DAP Collar or medication from your vet to decrease this anxiety. It also may be age related and this is when the medications can help...it is worth a try. It does not alter anythig else and FRodo will be normal with less anxiety. Ask your vet about this....
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Thank you Dr Loretta for your advice. I will get a collar and see if that helps and get further medication from the vets.You have been very helpful and I am satisfied.Lindsey.

Good for you, Lindsey...I really hope this helps!