nekovet
nekovet, Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.
60269376

Our 12 year old Springer has blocked tear ducts. We are beginning

Customer Question

Our 12 year old Springer has blocked tear ducts. We are beginning eye drop treatment with Maxitrol. If this fails should we consider the unblocking procedure which will need anaesthetic.
Category: Dog
Expert:  nekovet replied 1 year ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today.

Absolutely! In regards ***** ***** block ducts, we often first try reducing inflammation with steroid based drops as you are.

Though if we were to find this unsuccessful then tear duct flushing under anaesthesia would be the next step. Since Josh is older, you may want to have your vet check a pre-anaesthesia blood panel to just ensure it is safe for him to have the anaesthesia. If that fine, then we could proceed with the flush. Just to note, if your vet didn't find an internal blockage/obstruction within the duct while flushing, we'd potentially want an xray taken while he is under to ensure there is nothing (ie abscess, mass, etc) compressing the duct from the outside and thus blocking its natural drainage. But overall, this sounds like an appropriate plan of action in this situation.

I hope this information is helpful.

If you need any additional information, do not hesitate to ask!

All the best,

Dr. B.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need as this is how I am credited for assisting you today. Thank you! : )

Expert:  nekovet replied 1 year ago.

Please remember to rate my answer when you are satisfied as this is how I am credited for assisting you today. IF you have any lingering questions or concerns, please stop and reply to me via the REPLY or CONTINUE CONVERSATION button with the issue you have. I will be happy to continue further and do everything I can to provide you with the service you seek. Thank you. :)