Dr. Joey
Dr. Joey, Board Certified
Experience:  15 yrs in practice, specialist canine/feline medicine
20970409

Our cocker spaniel was diagnosed with MRSP recently. Micro

Our cocker spaniel was diagnosed with MRSP recently. Micro biologist confirmed by examining skin scrapings. What are the dangers for my family? I have three children. Dog is on antibiotics but my vet cannot advise on the dangers to the family.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Joey replied 1 year ago.
Hello I am Dr. Joey. Thanks for trusting me to help you and your pet today. I am a licensed veterinarian with over 15 years of experience. I look forward to working with you.Yes, this is a pathogen potentially contagious to people, but the risk is quite low. MRSP infections in humans are very rare despite widespread human exposure. You dog is carrying other zoonotic pathogens that pose a greater risk than MRSP, you just don't know which ones. Good common sense practices like handwashing, avoiding contact with feces and saliva during the treatment period, and similar measures will reduce the risk.The incidence of this infection in people is extremely low, showing how poorly adapted this bug is for people. Never say never, but the odds of MRSP being a problem in your household are exquisitely low unless someone is immunocompromised, and if that case I recommend you consult with your M.D. Please keep me posted. I am always happy to answer followup questions. You can reply to this question at any time to submit a followup. My goal is to provide you with excellent service today. If there’s anything else I can do, let me know – it’s been a pleasure working with you and I hope to assist you again soon! Kindly submit a rating as you exit our chat.