nekovet
nekovet, Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.
60269376

When a d has diabetes, do you feed them first then give in

When a d has diabetes, do you feed them first then give insulin?
Category: Dog
Expert:  nekovet replied 2 years ago.
Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with today. I do apologize that your question was not answered before. Different experts come online at various times; I just came online, read about your wee one’s situation, and wanted to help.
In regards ***** ***** question, we absolutely feed first and then give insulin. This prevents us from ending up in a situation where she doesn't eat and then has a blood sugar crash due to her insulin. So, it is always ideal to feed, assess how much she ate, and if she has eaten normally then give her full dose of insulin.
Please take care,
Dr. B.