nekovet
nekovet, Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.
60269376

My female dog, aged 3 years, doesn't want to eat today. Her

My female dog, aged 3 years, doesn't want to eat today. Her bowel movement this morning produced a number of small, hard, pellet-like stools, which were black.
Category: Dog
Expert:  nekovet replied 2 years ago.
Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today.
I have to say that I am quite concerned about Lucy.
Provided she hasn't been eating lots of dirt or been treated with any activated charcoal or Pepto Bismol, then these black stools are a real concern. This is because they are often a sign we see when a dog has a bleed in the upper region of the gastrointestinal tract (ie stomach or upper GI). The reason why the blood discolors the feces to black is due to the body digesting the blood as it passes down the intestine.
In regards ***** ***** for upper GI bleeds, the most common causes are stomach ulcers, stomach damage due to foreign body ingestion, adverse reaction to anti-inflamatories (pet or human ones), and stomach or intestinal tumors. And it is worth noting that all of these issues would cause vomiting (often brown or coffee ground like material), nausea, anorexia, lethargy, belly discomfort, and that worrying black feces.
With all this in mind, we do need to be proactive and aggressive in helping Lucy (especially since we cannot see into her bleeding stomach to tell us if there is an ulcer about to perforate her stomach). Therefore, if possible, it would be ideal to get her to the vet. They can help diagnose what is triggering her signs and get her onto some oral gastroprotectants (ie sucralfate) to coat any open stomach lesions, GI safe pain relief (ie bupenorphine, etc), and anti-nausea medication to help us get her eating again (since an empty stomach means there is nothing for the stomach acid to digest but the stomach itself). Furthermore, they can fully examine her to ensure there is nothing else afoot putting him off her food that could have caused this as a secondary issue.
If you cannot get her to the vet immediately, then I would say to at least consider treating her with an antacid to lower the stomach acid pH. These are available over the counter and pet friendly. I would advise only treating with one, but the two I tend to recommend are:
*Pepcid (More Info/Dose @http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/famotidine-pepcid)
*Zantac (More Info/Dose @ http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/ranitidine-hcl-zantac)
You will want to give these 20 minutes before offering food and under the circumstances you will want to treat every 8 hours.
Overall, I am quite concerned about Lucy with these signs. They are tell us that we may have an upper GI bleed that could be a sign of a stomach ulcer or possibly something worse (like a non-edible item or blockage). Therefore, it would be ideal to get her checked right away. If there is any delay in doing so, then do treat her with an antacid and keep a close eye on for any emergency signs (ie belly pain or paling of her gums).
I hope this information is helpful.
If you need any additional information, do not hesitate to ask!
All the best,
Dr. B.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need. Thank you and hope to see you again soon! : )