Dr. Michael Salkin
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 45 years of experience.
55012488

We have a dear little Jack Russel neutered dog about 9 years

Customer Question

We have a dear little Jack Russel neutered dog about 9 years old from the local rescue centre. We collected him at the end of May and he has been absolutely fine until about a fortnight ago when he has started to bark all night long, also soiling and peeing. As far as we can make out nothing has changed in his nightly routine. He sleeps in our kitchen with our other ***** ***** who is 13 years old neutered bitch and very quiet.
ANY help would be much appreciated.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 1 year ago.
I'm sorry that your question wasn't answered in a timely manner. There are three main differential diagnoses for dogs who behave in that manner only at night - a medical condition that predisposes to conflict such as his need to eliminate but reluctance to do so because he's well-trained in his potty habits; cognitive dysfunction... in particular, sundowner's syndrome - a form of cognitive dysfunction which occurs at night because sensory deprivation is accentuated during times of dark and quiet resulting in anxiety in affected humans and pets; and separation anxiety - perhaps the most common etiology. Before such a problem is approached as behavioral, it's important that all medical etiologies are investigated by having Toby's vet thoroughly examine him including diagnostics in the form of blood and urine tests. Once a clean bill of health is obtained, behavioral reconditioning might commence. Please see this synopsis of separation anxiety but please don't initiate retraining until Toby has been attended to by his vet: https://www.aspca.org/pet-care/virtual-pet-behaviorist/dog-behavior/separation-anxiety Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.
Thank you for your kind accept. I appreciate it.
I can't set a follow up in this venue and so would appreciate your returning to our conversation with an update at your convenience.