Dr. Joey
Dr. Joey, Board Certified
Experience:  15 yrs in practice, specialist canine/feline medicine
20970409

I wonder if you could possibly advise me re my 1.5 year

Hi I wonder if you could possibly advise me re my 1.5 year old Lhasa Apso. She has recently started to bite her coat at her back legs leaving bald patches. She is a clean well looked after puppy and is regularly treated for fleas etc tho she has never had any. I feed her on James Wellbeloved food. Although she has these bald patches shes not broken her skin. Could there be another reason for her doing this or is there anything else i can do for her??
Many Thanks
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Joey replied 1 year ago.
Hello I am Dr. Joey. Thanks for trusting me to help you and your pet today. I am a licensed veterinarian with over 15 years of experience. I look forward to working with you.I am sad to hear Trixi is so itchy and now has bald patches. There are several possible causes for this. First, I hope we can rule out fleas as it sounds like you do regular monthly control. In the absence of fleas, this type of itching can be due to an allergy (food allergy, environmental allergy called atopic dermatitis or contact allergy) with a secondary infection (yeast or bacterial) or it could be due to a mites infestation (demodex or sarcoptic mange) or ringworm.My best recommendation is to have her examined by her regular veterinarian. Your vet should offer you to perform a skin scraping that will look for both mites and infection (bacterial/yeast). Then if one of these issues is found, she can be treated. That would dramatically help her itching and the hair loss.Until you have her seen what can you do at home? If she was my patient and you could not get her in today I might recommend you try:1)Give an antihistamine such as (choose one): Diphenhydramine 25mg at 1 mg per pound every 12 hours OR Loratadine 10mg (if less than 25 lbs give ½ tablet every 24 hours)2)Bath in a good antibacterial shampoo such as a dandruff shampoo for people with selenium sulfide as the active ingredient; use every 7 days. When you bathe, lather and let stand in contact with skin for 5-10 minutes before rinsing thoroughly. I am at a point I need to know what questions you have. We can continue our dialogue in this setting.I hope that the information I provided has been helpful.Please remember to select REPLY TO EXPERT if for any reason you need further clarification, have more questions, or were expecting a different type of answer. My goal is to provide the best answer possible prior to you leaving a feedback rating.If you received all the information you needed, then kindly submit a rating.