Dr. Ann M.
Dr. Ann M., Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  ER and general medicine Veterinarian since 2005
15015521

IF MY DOG WENT INTO THE VET WITH A BROKEN LEG, AND HAD AN OPERATION

IF MY DOG WENT INTO THE VET WITH A BROKEN LEG, AND HAD AN OPERATION TO FIX WHAT COULD HAVE KILLED HIM
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Ann M. replied 1 year ago.
Hi there and thank you for your question. My name is ***** ***** I am a licensed, internship-trained veterinarian with 10 years experience in general medicine and emergency and critical care medicine and I would be happy to assist you. Please be patient as there may be slight delays in responses. I'm so sorry to hear about your dog. How did your dog break the leg? How old was your dog? Can you tell me what the veterinarian told you on the day of the surgery, after your dog died?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi he was a 14 month old 30kg strong healthy labradoodle, he chased our cat out into the street our cat went under the car but my dog front left le hit the side, he was taken straight to vet where he was given pain killer injections and came home with us that night and was booked in for sedation and exray next day. at 1 pm I got a call from my vet to say he had a small fracture to a small bone at the back of the leg and a very clean break to a bone in the front, 3 options - orthapeadic surgery costing thousands, my own vet could due for around 6-8 hundred pounds or a cast that might not work that would need changed 2 times per week and the total bill could run to around 6-8 hundred pounds and the leg may never be right. we opted for option 2. At 2.40 i got call to advise my dog had died, there, when we went to the surgery to see our boy there was no real explanation, his heart rate was around 100 all the way through his oxygen levels were fine but at the vessry last minute his heart started to fail, the only possabilty was a small piece of marrow getting free going into the blood stream and causing a massive heart attack. (before the operation I was advised he was a strong healthy boy already sedated so it would be beneficial to get straight on with the surgery)
Expert:  Dr. Ann M. replied 1 year ago.
It sounds like they monitored anesthesia very well... my suspicion is that there was a pulmonary thromboembolism (blood clot to the lungs), which. unfortunately, can happen any time there is trauma like this. The other possibility is that there were pulmonary contusions (bleeding into the lungs), which often do not show up on xray for 24 hours after the trauma, and can cause death. It sounds like an unfortunate incident that was unpredictable and unavoidable. How awful for you... I am so sorry. I have an 8-year-old male labradoodle whom I love very much, so I completely understand the pain you must be going through. Please let me know if you have further questions. I hope that I have answered your question thoroughly. If you still have questions, please reply. If you feel that I have provided anything less than excellent service, please reply to me first before rating my service and let me know how I can better assist you. Thank you for your question; it has been a pleasure being able to provide assistance. Best of luck.
Dr. Ann M., Dog Veterinarian
Experience: ER and general medicine Veterinarian since 2005