Dr. Deb
Dr. Deb, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  I have been a practicing veterinarian for over 30 years.
60411192

My little 6 week mini dautsaund has hit his head, all seemed

My little 6 week mini dautsaund has hit his head, all seemed ok but last two hours he's sleeping alot
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Deb replied 1 year ago.
Hello I'm Dr. Deb and will do my best to help you today. I'm sorry that Ollie has experienced such trauma at his young age. If he didn't seem disoriented or have balance issues or act confused after he hit his head, then he's probably going to be fine in terms of a concussion. It takes quite a bit of force to cause brain damage, even in puppies this young. But, it's very common for them to sleep after such an event because it typically scares them....and perhaps is somewhat painful as well. Once the adrenaline leaves their body, they often seem more sedate or drowsy and will sleep more than you think they should. More than likely, he'll be just fine once he wakes up from his nap and have close to the normal energy he typically does. However, having said that, since he's such a small dog, though, it might be helpful to offer him honey or pancake syrup or rub it on his gums (if he won't eat it) since low blood sugar is often a problem in these toy breeds. I hope this helps to reassure you about him. Deb