Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman, Veterinarian
Experience:  Practicing small animal veterinarian for 17 years.
53976849

My female Rottweiler is on Day 26 of heat cycle. She had a

My female Rottweiler is on Day 26 of heat cycle. She had a male with her for breeding day 11 - 22. She stopped allowing him access on Day 20. She is 4.5 yrs old, very fit & healthy, & has had x1 litter previously @ 2.5 yrs.
I am noticing a huge behavioural change in her. She ate only half what she normally eats Day 22 - 24, a little more Day 25. She is very quiet & lethargic, lying in the same position all day & night, hardly moving. She has lost a little weight & appears weak when standing & going outside to urinate. She is not vomiting apart from when drinking lots of water (which is normal for her), she does not have diarrea. She has cold in her eyes, & a cloudy cream (slightly blood tinted) discharge. She is usually very hot & always panting. She is not panting, breathing appears shallow & a little fast. She seemed hot in the night but not panting. She walked OK last night & would probably jump up to go walk right now.
Is this normal symptoms of pregnancy or could it be more sinister, infection ?
I've never seen her like this.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Altman replied 1 year ago.
Welcome to Justanswer! I am Dr. Altman and happy to help you both today!I am definitely a little concerned about possible infection with the lethargy and discharge after a heat cycle. CLICK HERE for more information about pyometra but in the article it lists symptoms as: Vaginal dischargeLethargyLack of appetiteDepressionVomitingDiarrheaDrinking excessive amounts of water and urinating often She is showing a fair amount of symptoms from this list and the discharge you mentioned is not something I would expect with pregnancy along with the weight loss.This symptom is easily diagnosed with an abdominal palpation, CBC indicating a high white cell count, and sometimes abdominal x-ray or ultrasound. It can potentially be life threatening so I would consider a veterinary er today or at least your regular veterinarian tomorrow. Some dogs will either run a fever >103 or be low <100 rectally I hope this makes sense but I am definitely concerned about your Rottie and best to be safe and rule out this potentially life threatening condition for her that is treatable if diagnosed earlyPlease let me know if I can assist with any additional questions today, you both are in my thoughts If you have more questions or if I can help in any other way, please do not hesitate to ask! If you would like to accept my answer, please press RATE OUR CONVERSATION (I am not compensated in any other way). Bonuses are always welcome. Thanks!If you have additional questions after you rate the question, you are welcome to request me for additional conversations if I am on-line or by beginning your question "Dr. Altman..." or "Dogdoc4u..." and others will leave the questions for me. Good luck to you both!!!
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I spoke to the breeder before submitting my question to you. Firstly, he thought the discharge was signalling that she is only now ready to cross. As this is Day 26 & she has already spent time with the male & declined him @ Day 22, I would think she is passed that time, do you agree ?The breeder has his own female who is also in heat right now, he assures me my Rotti's behaviour is normal & she will bounce back ?I wasn't convinced & so went on this site for the first time & submitted my question.My problem is that I live in a remote part of Belize & have very limited access to a vet & medication. I will have to wait until tomorrow & will perhaps need to put her on a plane to the city. In the meantime, I feel I should give her antibiotics, which again, I wont be able to buy until tomorrow if the pharmacy has them.Please can you recommend an emergency antibiotic or treatment to give her until she reaches a vet ?She's not urinating frequently, but huge amounts when she does (twice during the night). She's still just lying completely still & very quiet.Thank you.
Expert:  Dr. Altman replied 1 year ago.
What is her gum color?Do you need a veterinarian to write a prescription for antibiotics (clavamox would be my choice or augmentin- CLICK HERE for a link that discusses dose)I do agree it sounds like she has passed that time and with her symptoms in my experience do not coincide with ready to be tied. In addition if you do get her on antibiotics and she is improving discharge and energy, appetite that is a clear indication that this is not related to normal heat cycle
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Top Gum colour is very dark red / purple with almost purple / black patches. I don't remember her gums looking like that, I think they are usually bright pink ?We don't need prescriptions in Belize, we just buy over the counter. It's a case of if they have it. Please could you recommend dose. She is 105lbs.If it is an infection & antibiotics, is it possible for her to continue with a pregnancy & will the puppies be OK ?Thank you for your help, it is most appreciated.
Expert:  Dr. Altman replied 1 year ago.
You can also look at her inner eyelid to evaluate her mucus membrane colorIf she has an infection and is pregnant then very likely she will abort and absorb in early stages of pregnancyClavamox/ augmentin dose for her size low end dose is 700 mg (750 mg which will be a 500 mg & 1 250 mg in augmentin or amoxicillin) Please let me know any additional questions I can assist with today. I am so sorry you are in this predicament, I have a client that winters in Beliz and has quite a bit of difficulties when one of her pets are ill...
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I'm not quite sure what part is the inner eyelid membrane, I've looked & everything looks very dark. Throughout this, I noticed her eyes have been droopy & slitty, not wide & alert. There is a lot of cold in them.I will try to get her some antibiotics asap. I so hope she does not lose the puppies. I was breeding her this last time, before having her spayed, so that I could keep a male. There are very few full breed Rotti's & certainly of her calibre, & unrelated in Belize. She is a beautiful, smart dog & had wonderful puppies on first litter, but they have all been spayed/neutered or their Belizean breeder is crossing siblings. Not good.Unfortunately, I returned from a 6 day trip to find her like this, having left her with the caretaker, & so I'm not sure how long she has been sick.If your client (English or American ?) comes to the Placencia Penninsula, I more than likely know her, it's a very small community. Come visit Belize, it's beautiful !Very many thanks for your help today, I will try to get the antibiotics & let you know how we get on.Kind Regards,
Expert:  Dr. Altman replied 1 year ago.
I would love to visit Beliz but my practice keeps me busy 6 days/ week! I'm not sure what part of Beliz she lives in, they just built in 2014 so it is a newer community but otherwise I am clueless. I truly hope she is alright and wish you the best in keeping her healthy!If you are satisfied with my responses please rate or accept so I maybe compensated for my time. If anything changes please don't hesitate to contact me again!
Dr. Altman, Veterinarian
Experience: Practicing small animal veterinarian for 17 years.