Rebecca
Rebecca, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Veterinarian for more than 30 years
11877925

There, I have an 8 year old Weimaraner who in the last few

Customer Question

Hi there, I have an 8 year old Weimaraner who in the last few months has had bladder problems. During the day it's just spotting but in the night he can wee all over the floor. A few months ago he had surgery for a hernia and castration. The bladder problems have started since the op. We have been back to the vet several times and he says it's nothing to do with the op it's just old age. We've put our dog on a fully dry, low protein diet since then and he's also had two testosterone injections at the vets but the problem is still here. We don't feel the vet is being very helpful and would like some independent advice. Thanks debs x
Category: Dog
Expert:  Rebecca replied 1 year ago.
Hello, I am sorry to hear you are worried about your Weimaraner. I am a veterinarian and will do my best to help. Have any blood tests, or a urinalysis been done? Has he had an Xray or ultrasound to evaluate his bladder and prostate, to look for bladder stones, or (I hope not) a tumor in the bladder or prostate? If not, a urinalysis is the place to start. I would check for infection, and to see if there are small crystals in the urine. If crystals are seen, then I would take an Xray to check for bladder or kidney stones. Where on his body was the hernia that was repaired: near his anus? on his belly? If a urinalysis and Xrays are normal, I would next ultrasound his bladder and prostate, to (unfortunately) check for growths and tumors. Xrays would show stones in the bladder, but not a tumor. Let me know if any of these have already been done, and what else I can answer. Rebecca
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks for your answer! He has had blood tests and they have found slight kidney failure but the vet stated that it wasn't abnormal for his age. He's not had an ultra sound or X-ray though. Should we be asking for one?? Do you think the testosterone injection will being doing him any good? It's costing us £40 a time and I'm not convinced it's doing much!
Expert:  Rebecca replied 1 year ago.
You are welcome! I am not sure what the testosterone injection was supposed to do, help with the bleeding? I would ask your vet why he is giving testosterone; it can have unwanted side effects ( aggression, liver disease, etc.). If he were mine, I would try to find the cause of the bleeding, which would be infection, stones, or tumor, or prostate disease. Testosterone would not usually help with any of these conditions.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I'm really sorry I think I haven't been clear enough. It's not blood it's wee! that he is doing all over the house in the day and during the night.
Expert:  Rebecca replied 1 year ago.
Sorry! When you said spotting, I thought you meant blood. Where was the hernia surgery done, where on his body? I would still rule out infection, by doing a urinalysis. That can cause uncontrolled urination. If that is normal, I would still consider an ultrasound of the prostate and bladder. I am still not sure why the testosterone would help with this. If it turns out there is no infection or reason for the abnormal urination, I might try medication that improves the strength and tone of the bladder sphincter, which would be trying a medication called PPA (phenylpropanolamine) or I have had some male dogs respond to tiny doses of estrogen.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks I will definitely speak to our vet about the things you have mentioned. The hernia was on the lower part of his stomach. With the castration aswell he had two big cuts down his stomach. Top to bottom. We are concerned that something has been damaged during the op as it only started after that. Our vet tells us that this is definitely not the case.
Expert:  Rebecca replied 1 year ago.
If this all started when he had surgery, it could be related, but I would need to know more (urinalysis, etc.). Let me know what you find out and if I can help with anything else. Kindly consider rating my answer; you can still get back to me with updates and questions after rating. Rebecca
Expert:  Rebecca replied 1 year ago.
Thanks for the great rating! Please do let me know how he is doing. Rebecca