Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman, Veterinarian
Experience:  Practicing small animal veterinarian for 18 years.
53976849

I have a 1 year old female lhaso apso, I was brushing

Hello, I have a 1 year old female lhaso apso, I was brushing her teeth on the kitchen counter as she won't sit still to allow me to do it. She started to get agitated and jumped while I was still holding her harness I let go and she landed awkwardly on her rear leg. She let out a horrible scream. We have booked in an appt for a local vet but earliest appt is for Monday. Me he appears to be in no pain and walking on 3 legs but will not bear weight on affected leg. She allows me to touch, massage and apply ice to the leg with no whimpering or crying she is still walking around eTing and sleeping as normal but no attempt to weight bear on leg in 48 hours. It appears to me that the problem lies in the upper part of her rear leg where if attempt to manipulate this area there is slight clicking and she did yelp once in pain when I was doing this. The vet when we phoned advised if the leg was broken she would not let us near it and it is likely that she has maybe pulled a muscle. I guess I am just looking for some re- assurance as a am stricken with guilt as it was my fault. Please can you provide any advise for me on this. Please note when limping it does not seem like she can lift the leg right up just hold up lamely above the ground and she can't seem to hold it up high although can move it slightly
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Altman replied 2 years ago.
Welcome to Justanswer! I am Dr. Altman and happy to assist you both today!Thank you so much for the thorough history and so sorry Holly is in such discomfort.A few things to note: If possible as if your vet can do a drop off exam of Abby between appointments. I would hate to think of her in such discomfort for an additional 4 days if there is any way we can wiggle her into an appointment. Second, often veterinarians maintain a "medical" slot during the day for appointments that are ill and cannot wait so calling and asking if they have this option if they do not do drop off exams. Yes it is possible that there is nothing broken but I do worry that you are hearing a clicking in her leg. There is a good possibility she tore her cruciate ligament in her knee and has a slight tear to her meniscus that can click when the knee bends a certain way. In addition, the way you describe her holding her leg worries me this is the case. CLICK HERE for more information on this condition in dogs. The other alternative is she luxated or popped her kneecap out and is now a 4/4 luxation meaning it is forced out and cannot be replaced manually causing her discomfort. CLICK HERE fore more information on this conditionLastly, if your veterinarian simply cannot get you in before Monday please call around. I know it isn't ideal but at least getting her seen, some pain medications, and if warranted an x-ray to ensure there is not a small fracture that can be deleterious to wait those four days to treat. As for the guilt associated with this type of accident, please understand that this happens with the best of us. Dogs do this in the exam room sometimes and it can be quite difficult to catch them mid air! In addition, I have two little dogs that try to fly out of my arms sometimes and do get quite the scolding for it. It really can happen to any of us and please know that this is not your fault...I hope this information is helpful to you but please let me know any additional questions I can assist with or clarify today. I truly hope your Holly is feeling better soon If you have more questions or if I can help in any other way, please do not hesitate to ask! If you would like to accept my answer, please press RATE OUR CONVERSATION (I am not compensated in any other way). Bonuses are always welcome. Thanks!If you have additional questions after you rate the question, you are welcome to request me for additional conversations if I am on-line or by beginning your question "Dr. Altman..." or "Dogdoc4u..." and others will leave the questions for me. Good luck to you both!!!