Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian
Experience:  16 years of internal medicine, surgery, and preventive care.
25161683

I have a staffy and hes not to good he has been being sick

Customer Question

hi I have a staffy and hes not to good he has been being sick since tusday and now today there was some blood in his sick he sames to be abel to keep food down for 2hrs then he brings it back up agen Nicola
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 2 years ago.
Welcome and thanks for asking your question Nicola. I am sorry to learn Ty is not feeling well. My name is***** am a licensed veterinarian. I am happy to answer your question today. First I need to ask you a few questions so that I can be well informed and give you the best advice. 1- Did Ty get into anything or eat something out of the ordinary? 2- Any pre existing medical conditions? 3- How much does he weigh? 4- Did he get into anything or eat something out of the ordinary? 5- Is he on any medications?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
1 no
2 no
3 cant remember
4 no
5 no
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 2 years ago.
Any other symptoms?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
burning up
sleepy
gums not as pink as I like
eyes a bit white
sort of blowing his checks out
licking his lips
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 2 years ago.
To make sure I got this right, his gums are pale?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
yes a we bit
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 2 years ago.
Nicola, give me a few minutes to type your answer. Thank you.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
ok thanks
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 2 years ago.
Nicola, when we see blood in the vomit it is safe to assume there is something damaging the wall of either the esophagus (tube connecting mouth to stomach), stomach or first part of the small intestines. Possible causes are: A foreign body, infections, tumors or even part of a systemic disease, etc. to name a few causes. In order to determine the exact underlying cause Ty will need a hands on examination by a veterinarian, xrays and blood work as initial screening test. The fact that his gums are a bit pale this is a major concern. Having pale gums is a sign of either: Anemia (decrease red blood cells), dehydration, blood shifting to other organs, etc. which can be caused by any of the above mentioned disease.In this case Nicola we are very limited as to what you can do at home. I would strongly recommend having Ty checked by a vet for the above test. Treatment will be based on exam and test results. In the meantime this is what you can do: 1- Do not give things like Pepto Bismol or imodium. Start him on Zantac (ranitidine) 75mg 1/2 tablet every 12 hours. You can buy Zantac (ranitidine) over the counter in any pharmacy (chemist). 2- No food or water for 3-4 hours. Need to give his gastrointestinal tract time to rest. 3- After 3-4 hours offer a small amount of water. Wait half hour, if no vomiting, offer small amount of rice (50%) and boiled boneless chicken or ground beef (50%) 4-6 times a day. 4- Follow up with your family veterinarian for a hands on examination, xrays and blood work as soon as you can. Please do not forget to rate my answer - I hope you found it to be excellent. If there’s more I can do, please use the reply tab and let me know. It’s my goal to provide you with excellent service." Thank you for your business and I hope to work with you again soon!Dr. Peter