Dr. Dan
Dr. Dan, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  12 years of experience with domestic and exotic dogs, PLEASE rate my service when satisfied.
17018043

My 12 year old dog has had a cough now and my

Customer Question

Hi, my 12 year old dog has had a cough for months now and my vet said it was kennel cough which was no longer contagious. She gave him some antibiotics and left me to it. The cough has never resolved but it doesn't seem to bother him so I have just left it. Over the past couple of weeks he has been getting wrestles at night and wanders around the house panting. His abdomen also looks distended. His behaviour over the past couple of years has worsened and he barks at everything. He is also almost completely blind. What should I do for the best.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Dan replied 1 year ago.
Hello!Thank you for your question, I'm Dr. Dan and I'll try to help you. Has your vet taken any xrays of the heart and lungs during this period of coughing? Has an xray been taken of the abdomen since it has become distended? Dr. Dan
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No X-rays have been done or offered by the vet
Expert:  Dr. Dan replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for the information. The most logical connection between a cough and an eventual abdominal distension is right sided heart disease. In this case the blood can pool in many cases and cause fluid to accumulate in the abdomen. All causes of heart disease can lead to a cough that is not responsive to antibiotics and stays consistent or even worsens. I think rather than trying more meds at this point an xray makes the most sense. If it is right sided heart disease there are affordable medicaitons to help the heart beat better and remove the pooling fluid, this should end the coughing and improve her quality of life and night anxiety/panting issues. I hope this helps, if not please feel free to ask more questions. Dr. Dan
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you, ***** ***** an emergency appointment for him tomorrow.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you very much for you help. I took Roo to the vets first thing on Friday morning. They gave him a good look over and it seemed that he had an enlarged heart, liver and spleen. He appeared in pain and was more than likely bleeding into his abdomen. We discussed all the possibilities. Both myself and the vet agreed that the best thing we could do for him was to put him to sleep as he wouldn't have a good quality of life for his remaining life. Myself and my husband were with him and he passed away in our arms. I know it was the most humane thing to do for him. He's at peace and out of pain now. Thank you again.
Expert:  Dr. Dan replied 1 year ago.
I'm sorry for your loss, thank you for the update. Dr. Dan