Dr. Kara
Dr. Kara, Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian.
49838867

My staffy has been receiving a daily dose of metacam

My staffy has been receiving a daily dose of metacam for several years now. He has arthritic back legs and has had a little trouble walking. Over the last 2/3 days he has been limping on one of his front legs and today has had a lot of trouble walking and he has whimpered a little. He has had a blood test and there is no damage to liver or kidneys from metacam. He seems to be in more pain than usual. Is there anything that can be done to help him?
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Kara replied 2 years ago.
Hello, my name is***** and I have over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian.I am sorry to hear that Taz is painful on his front leg for the past 2/3 days even in spite of receiving his daily dose of Metacam. Unfortunately his Metacam dose cannot be increased, there isn't a range for that drug that allows us to use higher doses if need be. A higher dose is not likely to give him any more pain relief, but it may cause stomach upset.You can try alternating warm and cold packs on his painful area for 10 minutes at a time several times a day.Make sure to rest him, no running , stairs or jumping. Although it may not help much today long term for joint pain I recommend using a combination of a glucosamine/chondroitin product (examples are Dasuquin or Cosequin) and an omega 3 fatty acid (like 3V Caps or Derm Caps). I recommend an omega 3 fatty acid dose based upon the EPA portion (eicosapentanoic acid) of the supplement as if we do that the rest of the supplement will be properly balanced. Give him 40mg of EPA per kilogram of body weight per day. For example a 40 kilo dog could take 1600mg of EPA per day. Omega 3's and glucosamine/chondroitins work synergistically and improve cartilage health and joint fluid quality and quantity as well as reducing inflammation. They can take several weeks to see full improvement but some dogs are helped quite a bit with them. They are available over the counter.Another option is a product called Duralactin. This is an anti-inflammatory product derived from milk proteins and it also has omega 3 fatty acids incorporated into it which can be very helpful. See this link for further information: http://www.duralactin.com/products_canine.htm We can add other prescription drugs that are more potent. Veterinary drugs we can add include a drug in the opiod family called Tramadol and/or another drug called Gabapentin. If your veterinarian is accessible by phone today you could call and ask them to phone in a script for him. Non-drug options include acupuncture and cold laser therapy.Best of luck with your fellow, please let me know if you have any further questions.