Dr. Joey
Dr. Joey, Board Certified
Experience:  15 yrs in practice, specialist canine/feline medicine
20970409

My dog has been suffering with his feet good few weeks

My dog has been suffering with his feet for a good few weeks now he constantly licks and chews his feet making them really sore until he won't allow you to touch them, I have tried tea tea sprays and trying to bath his feet daily in tea tree shampoos this helps calm it down but as soon as he gets to his feet he starts chewing and biting again, in between his toes are really sore and also it is all red between his pads. I have tried changing his food stopped him walking on grass and stopped using anything on the carpets. He has to have a cone on while we are not around or asleep or he wil just sit and chew and lick his feet we have taken him to the vet and he said it could be allergies and we have tryed to rule things out but are really struggling now. Thanks
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Joey replied 2 years ago.
Hello I am Dr. Joey. Thanks for trusting me to help you and your pet today. I am a licensed veterinarian with over 15 years of experience. I look forward to working with you.Oh, this poor guy. Yes, the paws are a hot area to be extremely itchy, especially as associated with allergies (food allergy or atopic dermatitis which is environmental allergy). What happens is whatever they are allergic to causes the paws to become inflamed. Then they lick, which invites normal organisms on the skin (yeast, bacterial) to move into these areas. We most commonly see yeast infections on the paws.This is a serious and annoying condition for dogs; therefore, if you ever see a vet who doesn't take the issue seriously, you need another opinion. So, on the one hand I must recommend you take him in to be seen by his veterinarian next week. This will heal fastest with oral medication (an anti fungal or antibiotic) as based upon a skin cytology evaluation done by your vet in the hospital.But what could you do in the meantime that might help? If he was my patient and knowing the clinic is not open right now, I might recommend you try:1)Give an antihistamine such as (choose one): Benadryl (diphenhydramine) 25mg at 1 mg per 10 pounds every 12 hours OR Claritin OTC (10mg tablet every 12 hours)2)Bath in a good antifungal shampoo such as Nizoral (this is a people antidandruff shampoo that you can find at most pharmacies; not grocery stores) every 2 to 5 days. When you bathe, lather and let stand in contact with skin for 5-10 minutes before rinsing thoroughly I am at a point I need to know what questions you have. I hope that the information I provided has been helpful.Please let me know if for any reason you need further clarification, have more questions, or were expecting a different type of answer. My goal is to provide the best answer possible prior to you leaving a feedback rating.If you received all the information you needed, then kindly submit a rating.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I have just read about that atopic densities and it makes sense he constantly sufferes from ear infections and has am started scatting around the eye area reply hard and he tends to cut his face in doing so ­čśó
Expert:  Dr. Joey replied 2 years ago.
This poor guy. Atopic dermatitis is not an easy problem to treat, but if he only has allergies this time of the year, then treatment to get him through the trouble times is the best plan. If he has constant year-round problems, then there are ways to explore and treat atopic dermatitis, working with your veterinarian.With ear infections as well, though, I think we cannot entirely rule out food allergy which can cause both ear infections and paw infections.Hopefully, what I mention now will be old news but I feel it important for me to mention the three most common allergies that can contribute to skin inflammation and secondary infections. Our top three allergies include food allergy, flea allergy and atopic dermatitis (environmental allergy). To start to explore these allergies, first we need very good monthly flea control year round (this is an adulticide product) and I will assume you are doing this so we can rule out fleas as a possible cause. The food allergy is usually the next allergy we explore as it is common in this breed and common to occur in adult dogs. A food allergy is not a grain or gluten allergy (those are marketing ploys). This is an allergy to a protein, most commonly and the top three protein allergies we see are beef, chicken and milk. So, to find out if we have a food allergy we do an 8 to 12 week hypoallergenic food trial with a prescription diet that you get from your vet such as a hydrolyzed diet (Hill's z/d or Purina HA or royal Canin hydrolyzed) or an limited ingredient diet (e.g., Hill's d/d venison or duck or egg, or Purina DRM). The food trial requires no treats or even chewable heart worm preventive products during the trial. We also treat all existing infections at the start. If no relapse by the 2nd or 3rd month then likely food allergy.Finally, we have atopic dermatitis. To diagnose this usually requires an allergy test which can be done via intradermal (usually through a dermatologist) or serum (blood). Then, based on these results we find out what kind of allergies she has and you can elect to do immunotherapy to desensitize her which can be done via allergy shots or a daily mouth spray (very popular) but then takes about 8-9 months to work and during that time must treat all infections.Or, you can elect to skip all those steps and just use a drug that treats allergies such as Atopica (cyclosporine - must use a name brand because generics do not absorb or work well in dogs) or Apoquel (on permanent backorder and probably not available until late 2016). Please keep me posted. I am always happy to answer followup questions. You can reply to this question at any time to submit a followup. My goal is to provide you with excellent service today. If there’s anything else I can do, let me know – it’s been a pleasure working with you and I hope to assist you again soon! Kindly submit a rating as you exit our chat.