nekovet
nekovet, Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.
60269376

Elderly female ***** ***** cross usually very healthy and

Elderly female ***** ***** cross usually very healthy and alert suddenly off food very lethargic and wobbly. No interest in anything but sleep. Has drunk a little water. Can walk but does look disorientated when doing so. First symptom noticed was off food and then very quick downhill from then but 24 hours before was usual bouncy self
Category: Dog
Expert:  nekovet replied 1 year ago.
Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today.
Any retching, gagging, lip licking, drooling, or vomiting?
Are her gums nice and pink (not white/pale)? Moist or sticky?
If you press on her belly, does she have any tensing, tenderness, discomfort, or pain?
Could she have eaten anything she should not have (ie bones, stones, socks, toys, plants, chemicals, human meds, etc)?
Any diarrhea?
Has she been spayed?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
She was sick once but not much No diarrhoea gums are pink no reaction to belly being pressed. We've noticed that her hackles rise unusually and she was walking stiffly yesterday though not as much today. She has not been out of bed except when lifted but has taken very small amountof chicken this afternoon. She did however eat a pear from the ground on Friday unusual for her. Could this mean anything? Thank you for your anticipated reply
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ps she has been spayed
Expert:  nekovet replied 1 year ago.
Now since he is an old dear, we do need to tread with care. They often don't have the nutrition/energy or fluid reserves of younger dogs. Therefore, when they go off their food, it can cause more drastic issues quicker for them. With that in mind, to hear that she was sick as well as refusing food, this does raise major concerns about an underlying nausea. Common causes for that would include bacterial or viral gastroenteritis, pancreatitis, parasites/protozoa infections, IBD, cancer, dietary indiscretions (if the pear has not agreed with her, though it is not toxic itself), or potentially secondarily to a metabolic or organ issue.
With this all in mind, since she is not actively vomiting now, we can try some home supportive care to see if we can settle her stomach. To start, you can try treating her with an antacid. There are a number that are available over the counter and pet friendly. I would advise only treating with one, but the ones I tend to use are Zantac (More Info/Dose @ http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/ranitidine-hcl-zantac), Milk of Magnesia (0.5tsp every 8 hours), or you can check your local pet store for a Calcium Carbonate preparation. Whichever you choose, we’d give this 20 minutes before offering food to allow absorption. Of course, do check with her vet before use if she has any known health issues or is on any medications you didn’t mention.
Once that has had time to absorb, we need to tempt her with a light/easily digestible diet. Examples you can offer are cooked white rice with boiled chicken, boiled white fish, cottage cheese, scrambled eggs, or meat baby food (as long as its garlic/onion free). There are also OTC vet diets that can be used (ie Hill’s I/D or Royal Canin’s sensitivity) too. The aim of these diets is that it will be better tolerated and absorbed by the compromised gut. Therefore, it should get more nutrients in and result in less GI upset. Of course, if she cannot be tempted, then we'd want to think about syringe feeding. For syringe feeding food, you can use OTC diets like Hills A/D, Royal Canin Recovery diet, Clinicare, Dogsure or eve water down wet puppy food.
Since dehydration is a risk since she is drinking poorly, we need to keep an eye on her hydration. To check this and ensure he’s not becoming dehydrated, there are a few things you can test. Further to checking for gum moisture, you will want to make sure her eyes are not looking sunken and that she doesn’t have a "skin tent" when you lift the skin. To see how to check these parameters for dehydration, you can find a good video HERE (http://www.ehow.com/video_12232503_dog-dehydrated.html). If you are seeing any signs of dehydration already, then that would be our cue to have her seen before this becomes an additional issue for her (especially as it is often dehydration that makes them feel unwell).
Though if you need to, you can try syringe feeding fluids too. You can use an OTC electrolyte solution like Resorb or Lectaid. Also pediatric replacement fluids can be of use. Whichever you use, we'd aim for a daily intake of 48ml per kilogram of her weight. This needs to be divided through the day and of course, we'd have to discontinue this if we did have any vomiting.
Overall, a wide range of agents could trigger the anorexia we are seeing. Therefore, in her case, we’d want to start the above supportive care now. Of course, if she is dehydrated already, very weak, or doesn’t respond to the above within 12-24 hours; then we'd want to get her vet involved. They can assess her hydration, rule out fever, make sure there is nothing in her stomach that shouldn't be there or any sinister viruses present. As well, since she is older, we can have bloods checked to make sure her organs are working ass they should. Depending on their findings, her vet can treat her with injectable anti-vomiting medication +/- antibiotics or appetite stimulants to settle her stomach and get her eating before she just fades away on us.
I hope this information is helpful.
If you need any additional information, do not hesitate to ask!
All the best,
Dr. B.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need. Thank you! : )
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your advice. Is it possible a slug or something in the pear could've caused her to be ill?
Expert:  nekovet replied 1 year ago.
You are very welcome, While slugs can carry lungworm, they don't usually cause anorexia or nausea in dogs. So, that isn't likely the culprit in her case.All the best,Dr. B.
nekovet, Veterinarian
Experience: Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.