How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dr. Kara Your Own Question
Dr. Kara
Dr. Kara, Veterinarian
Category: Dog
Satisfied Customers: 16920
Experience:  Over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian.
49838867
Type Your Dog Question Here...
Dr. Kara is online now

Our dog has just eaten a small milk chocolate bar. What should

Resolved Question:

Our dog has just eaten a small milk chocolate bar. What should we do?
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Kara replied 2 years ago.
Hello, my name is***** and I have over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian. I am sorry to hear about Gregor eating some milk chocolate.There are several types of small chocolate bars, so I am not sure how many ounces/grams he ate. Depending upon how much he ate and how much he weighs will determine our concern.A 5 kilo pup would need to eat 1 & 1/2 ounces (45 grams) of milk chocolate to see symptoms of drooling, nausea, vomiting and diarrhea and almost 3 ounces (90 grams) of milk chocolate to see hyperexcitability and an elevated heart rate.At higher amounts we can see muscle tremors and possible seizures.How much does your fellow weigh?How many ounces (grams) do you believe he ate?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
6.6Kgms 1 to 2 ounces at most as bar was filled with yoghurt
Expert:  Dr. Kara replied 2 years ago.
Thanks very much, that is very helpfulYour pup is big enough that the amount of chocolate Gregor ingested will not be problem. If he tends to be a fellow with a sensitive stomach then eating something high in sugar and fats may cause mild stomach upset and maybe a slightly loose stool, but that should be it. If he doesn't have a sensitive stomach I would not expect any side effects whatsoever.Please let me know if you have any further questions.
Dr. Kara and 2 other Dog Specialists are ready to help you