Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian
Experience:  16 years of internal medicine, surgery, and preventive care.
25161683

I have a 10 year old female Staffy and her stomach looks like

I have a 10 year old female Staffy and her stomach looks like it's got a lot bigger over the last two days she's still eating and acting herself and wanting to go out but she seems to be drinking more water then usual she's going outside and having bowel movement buts it's been a little runny she's seems like she's a bit uncomfatable at the moment she's got arthritis in her back legs and is on metacam medicine but she's been on that for 6 month and always been fine on it so I don't think that has anything to do with it can u help
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 2 years ago.
Welcome and thanks for asking your question. My name is***** am a licensed veterinarian. I am happy to answer your question today. First I need to ask you a few questions so that I can be well informed and give you the best advice. 1- Is she spayed? 2- Besides arthritis any other pre existing medical conditions?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Yes she is spayed and no she hasn't had any other medical conditions at all she had puppies 5 years ago and apart from that and the arthritis she's never had any medical problems
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 2 years ago.
Give me a few minutes to type your answer. Thank you.
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 2 years ago.
Friend, when we see abdominal swelling occurring quickly we get concern about fluid in the abdomen (ascites). This can be brought upon by: Kidney or liver disease, tumors, etc. to name a few causes. Her drinking more than usual further supports any of the above mentioned diseases. To determine which of the above is the underlying cause your family veterinarian will need to do some blood work (chemistry profile, T4 & CBC) and urinalysis as initial screening test. In some cases we may need to do an abdominal ultrasound to further evaluate the abdominal cavity. Treatment will be determined by clinical and diagnostic findings. Please do not forget to rate my answer - I hope you found it to be excellent. If there’s more I can do, please use the reply tab and let me know. It’s my goal to provide you with excellent service." Thank you for your business and I hope to work with you again soon!Dr. Peter
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Is this the only possibility why she may be bloated and would her behaviour not be different if this was the case
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 2 years ago.
There are other possible causes like a bloat. But, in dogs with a bloat they will be clinically ill behave restless, uncomfortable, vomiting, etc. The fact that she is having normal bowel movement we can rule out constipation or an obstruction. So, the next step is to rule out fluid in the abdomen secondary to: ***** ***** liver disease, tumors, low protein, heart disease, etc. to name a few causes. Please reply if you have additional questions. Dr. Peter
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
She has only had Watery bowel movement and seems likes she's trying to get more out but can't rather then just doin it and waking away she's still trying after water has came out but nothing else is
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 2 years ago.
So she is straining to defecate and has watery diarrhea, correct?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Yes that's right
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
A couple of days ago she was sick a few times like a yellow flem
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 2 years ago.
When we see straining with diarrhea this is a sign of inflammation in the colon (large intestines). It is also possible that she could be losing protein in the intestinal tract as a result of the inflammation. When there is low levels of protein this will cause a fluid shift and allow fluid to move into the abdomen. The big question then is: Why is her intestinal tract inflamed? This can be caused by: Infections, ingestion of a foreign body, auto immune (IBS), etc. I would continue recommending the above test we discussed before to determine the exact underlying cause. In the meantime change her diet to rice (75%) and boiled boneless chicken or ground beef (25%) until her stool is back to normal. Please reply if you have additional questions.